Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Year

365 days doesn't seem much. In fact, in the grand scheme of the universe and in the generous timing of God, it is just a blip on the radar screen. But, when you are missing someone whom you will never see again before you get to Heaven, it is an eternity.

There are so many things I miss about Mom. I loved the way she greeted me on the phone, each and every time we talked. She sounded genuinely excited when I called. There was always a "Hello dear" or just a general happiness in her voice that let me know she was glad I'd picked up the phone and called.

I crave her smile. The day she died, she was so tired and weak. But, every time one of her caregivers entered the room, she'd open her eyes and smile at them. After all, she'd been a nurse, and she understood what they were going through, and she wanted them to know she appreciated what they were doing.

Forever I'll wish I could just see her stand up and dance a goofy jig when the gosh-awful bluegrass music fired up. Or watch her dance with Dad, something they did quite well.

I ran across a quote sometime earlier this year, and it really struck a chord with me, so I saved it. Today just seemed like the day to share it:

"Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated." ~Lamartine

I miss you, Mommy, and I can't wait to see you again.

4 comments:

  1. The words, "I'm sorry", just don't have enough emotion in them to let you know how I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, sadly, I know you know. Thank you for attempting...that means so much. The silence is what will kill people, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. You are not going to believe this.

    So, today while running my playlist (put on "shuffle") played Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise". I immediately starting singing along and then got the most powerful urge to pray. Specifically. For you.

    So I did.

    Clearly, God knew and moved.

    Thinking (and praying) for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB-Thank you so much. I know there are many who are praying and that has been such a relief for my heart. I'm crying buckets and am exhausted, but that's all good. I'd worry if it were any other way.

    ReplyDelete