Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Movie Kind of Weekend

It's not often I recommend movies on this blog, but I've seen two good ones this weekend, so I had to share.

Ramona and Beezus is just as precious as the books that inspired the movie. And, it certainly didn't hurt that John Corbett was playing the Dad. Seriously, can that man get any hotter without catching on fire? Didn't think so, either. If you're into alleged two-timing scum, Josh Douchbag, I mean Duhamel, also has a pretty good part in the movie. I don't, for the record (as if you care), find him remotely attractive. But, if you do, run don't walk, to see this movie with your kids.

By far the best performance goes to the sweet little thing who played Ramona. OH.MY.GOODNESS. She could make me laugh and cry in the same minute span. I've never seen her before but I'll be prepared next time she's in a movie because she stole my heart. Almost made me pine for a daughter.*

The story is also well-written and has a great message that family is more important than anything else.

Two huge thumbs up for this "G" rated peach of a show.

On to adult fodder we go: The Social Network. Would've thunk that a movie based on Harvard computer programmers could actually be worthy of a $9 ticket and a budget-breaking bag of popcorn and Coke?

Holy crap. This one delivered. The lead character, played by Jesse Eisenberg, was so fantastically believeable as a computer nerd with Aspergers disease that I wondered if he'd been coached by frekazoid Russell Crowe. I completely bought into him and loved the performance.** Now, I don't know if even 5% of this is based in reality. But, frankly, the story held its own, even if it is complete bull poo.

And, Justin Timberlake? Holy cow bells. That boy can play a scum bag like no other. I have always thought he looked like someones little brother who couldn't punch his way out of a bag. But he delivered a tour-de-force of a performance that proved he, maybe, COULD get in a good left hook. Or at least duck well.

I can't give this movie enough praise. I was exhausted when we left the theater about 9pm*** but I was so crazy about the acting, that I wanted the fun to continue.

That's when I made the connection that Jesse Eisenberg is one of the zombie hunters in Zombieland. And, if Redbox had had the sense to carry it, we would have come home and watched THAT movie, just so the "WE LOVE JESSE TO PIECES" fest could have continued.

Go now. Drop the kids with the local homicidal maniac if you must.**** You'll be watching an Academy Award nominated drama, if you ask me.

But, then again, I said the same thing about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas***** and it was passed over. So, who I am I to say??? I just know I lurved.lurved.lurved it. And, I hope, you will, too.


*But then I came to my senses when I realized girl-puberty = certain death.

**Look out Oscar! You're about to be picked up by a guy named Jesse.

***That statement just makes me sad reading it.

****Just kidding, in case you don't know me but you stumbled onto this blog. I really am a loving Mother who would never consider leaving my kids with anybody lower than the neighborhood Peeping Tom.

*****Which was SO shafted by Hollywood but, blissfully, put Vera Farmiga on my map.

3 comments:

  1. Ramona and Beezus was the cutesy movie of the year, bar none ( and there were several cute ones).

    And little girls can melt your heart and restore your connection to your humanity like nothing else in the world. I'm sure, my dear friend, you'll be there to help me and and my lovely bride keep our sanity during girl-puberty of our girls. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be providing the drinks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess there are trials and tribulations with each sex. Maybe we should invest in Miller Brewing, (MGD is Craig's drink of choice) and Seagrams (my drink of choice Seagrams wine coolers). Jill, what would be yours?

    Craig, don't forget How to Train Your Dragon to tie Ramona for first place!

    ReplyDelete