Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Confession

The boys are participating in a Bible study this summer with a few other gentleman-in-waiting on our street.  I'd love to say that the draw is the fascinating conversation about what they've learned from the likes of Paul and Luke and John, but I have to be honest:  it's the weekly desserts and opportunity to boy-bond (and possibly end up in the pool) that are the real drivers.

This study has been challenging for both the boys.  The version of the Bible they are referencing, the NASB, isn't exactly King James, but, at times, it still requires understanding what you've read/been read and turning that into your own commentary.  I struggled with this when I first started doing Bible studies somewhere in my early 30's, so I feel their pain.

Today we were finishing up the last part of the week's study and Hooman was wrestling with how his actions demonstrate he is a REAL Christian.  Basically, the author was trying to help the young readers understand the point that when Christians sin, it isn't a place God wants them to dwell for long.

It took some batting around and some extrapolation from the (theologically baseless) statement that "I'm a Christian because I'm a good person", but he finally came to the following conclusion:

"You have to eccept (spelling error left intact) Christ and live a life of confession."

This struck me as poetic and dead on and so simple that it almost hurt my core.

I've never thought of living a life of confession.  But, that's what it takes, moment-by-moment, sin-by-sin, to bring me back to a point of righteousness.

If I were to turn each and every instance of disobedience or impatience or unforgiveness back to God as a matter of confession in the moment those errors occurred, I would be living a beautiful life.  I'd be giving the devil zero foothold on my life.  I would find that mysterious peace that passeth understanding, I'm pretty sure.

I find it so simple to forget confession.  Is that because we relate it to some mystic Catholic rite that is somehow on the fringes of "true" Christianity?  Is it because we know we were born in sin and we tend to sin so much that it would just be too hard to confess everything?  Do we, unknowingly, let the cross be our atonement and forget that confession is the bridge that we build between ourselves and Christ that reconciles us to Him?

We have so many opportunities to worship and pray and read the Bible.  We can attach a monetary donation to a local mission's project via our paycheck or send our tithe via auto-debiting.  Opportunities to hand food over to the poor exist on almost every street corner in south Dallas.  And, hopefully, we do some or all of these things.

And while these things are obedient and kind and wonderful, they aren't all that is necessary for us to walk in complete obedience.  We MUST confess our sins to come back into right relationship with Christ.  As 1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I don't have some secret formula for making confession part of my life yet.  I'm just barely starting to understand what true forgiveness looks like and I certainly know that being able to completely forgive has components of confession grafted into it.

But, like forgiveness, I want to make confession a regular part of my life.  I don't want to remember it only on Sunday when we confess our sins in the pew.  I want confession to help block the devil from my life 24/7/365.

How about you?  Is this whole concept a surprise?  Does the thought of living a life of confession sound intriguing?

Join me and let's find out together! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the challenging thoughts. Our SS study is on the book Forgotten God: Reversing our tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan.
    I think that to truly continually live with the Holy Spirit we must continually be ready to confess. (I fail at both this things) Chan points out that sometimes after we sin, we wait, try to better ourselves, before confessing to God. But just like we want to know immediately when our children have done something "wrong", God wants our confession immediately. JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all understand being an Adam or an Eve at times as we've all tried to cover or deny our sin. But, we all know where that got them and where it gets us: exposed to the devil's lies. That's not a place we want to dwell.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids have such a unique way of cutting to the truth. Love it...

    ReplyDelete