Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pay It Forward Websites

One of the issues that continues to clutter my life is the number of magazines I am subscribed to.  I somehow think that I can juggle five subscriptions, two or three regular books, and a Bible study simultaneously.

Joke's consistently on me.  I am still trying to get through back issues with December 2011 emblazoned on the cover.  And my books have a thick layer of dust on them.  The Bible study is relatively unscathed, however, because I just started it last week.  Give it time and I'm sure it will wonder why I'm not picking it up very often, like every other reading material in the house.

But, every once in a blue moon, I pick up a book and read a chapter.  Or, pretty consistently, I do my Bible study.  And, in carpool line, I do actually make it through a few pages of a random magazine about once a week.  During the process of reading any periodical, I tear pages out like crazy.  "Cool recipe", "Great suggestion", "Beautiful room", I think.  As if I am going to make it, use it, and create it.  Ha.

But still.  I tear and then clip to make it look all pretty.  And then I put it in a pile.

Shameful.

But, today I am actually doing something with one of those articles I tore out sometime in the last few (insert one) months/years/centuries.  GO ME!

And, when I looked at what I tore out, thinking it was so important that I had to make it sit impatiently in a pile, I realized this one was TRULY worth saving.

These three websites were brought to my attention by Redbook Magazine.  They are a way to connect with people in need.  But, more importantly, they are a way to connect that anyone, any age, can afford.  So, these sites will allow you to teach the timeless lesson of giving to others to your children in a way that their allowance/chore money will allow.

Modestneeds.org
A financial bump in the road can derail too many folks.  This website allows you to donate to people who need very little but who need that little bit a whole lot.

smallcanbebig.org
Let me just say I love the name of this site.  Good job founders.
If you would like to help a person/family living just above the poverty line, this is the site for you.  Most of these families are in the northeastern portion of the U.S.

givinganon.org
This is the website I should have created because there have been plenty of times I wished I could have slipped a twenty into someones purse without them noticing.  And without looking like a pickpocket.

Literally, you send givinganon the name, email address and phone number of the person you want to receive your donation and the organization makes a call/writes an email anonymously, on your behalf.  If your beneficiary accepts the offer, givinganon sends them a check.  All without anyone being any wiser.  Brilliant!

OK.  I've given you the ideas, now it is your turn to do the work.  Go get your giving on!

No comments:

Post a Comment