Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco De Mayo!

This is most definitely the most misnamed, misunderstood holiday in the Americas.

It should really be "Drinko De Mayo" because that is the main thrust these days. Our favorite little local Mexican joint actually has a calendar above the front entrance that counts, to the hundredths of a second, the number of days, hours, and seconds until this date. Of course, the clock is housed in an ad for tequila. See my point?

Plus, all last week, I couldn't pass by any respectable Mexican joint that wasn't waving the red, green and white flag, right above the beer company's sign declaring "Cinco De Mayo".

Now, trust me, I'll all into Mexican food. And drinks. So, this was one of my favorite holidays as a single. Now that I'm married with kids? Not as much fun. I mean, SOMEONE has to be the designated driver if I even SIP a margarita. Kind of takes all the fun out of it.

But, regardless of my astoundingly low ability to handle tequila these days, I still have a fascination with this day. And I found out I was more history-ignorant than I previously thought.

I was blissfully unaware that, had this holiday gone 'the other way', we'd have a La Madeleine on every street corner instead of a Mexican restaurant.

French instead of Mexican? Surely you jest. I mean, I can get all behind a good glass of red wine and a croissant. But give up nachos loaded with cheese and jalapenos? No way, Jose.

It turns out, Napoleon III decided he wanted a piece of Mexico's action and sent troops in to overtake Mexico City. Where was America? Just a tad preoccupied, fighting our own little Civil War.

A whopping 50,000 Mexican soldiers lost their lives defending their turf. But, defend it they did. And, WA-LA. Birth of an annual celebration.

So, stuff yourself silly with fried foods filled with gooey cheese, eat chips and salsa until you might bust, and have a little shot of tequila in honor of the battle that meant we get to enjoy all this goodness today.

Just make sure you designate your driver before you start.

4 comments:

  1. so many cinco de mayo comments/articles/blog posts makes me want to dive head first into a bowl of queso. is that bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to WW, it IS a dairy product...need I say more? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm...who knew processed cheese was dairy product! you just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, you ARE taking advice from a woman who managed to try to force carrot cake into the WW paradigm.....

    ReplyDelete