Monday, March 14, 2011

Pink Lemonade

Right in the big, fat middle of a lazy, Spring Break Sunday afternoon comes The Babe, with a burning desire to do a lemonade stand.

Frankly, the idea was hatched because Babelicious realized that he was going to be too cash poor to buy Legos, unless he became supremely industrious, over Spring Break.

We garnered a deal that he would buy the lemonade and provide change for his customers and I would make the lemonade, pay for the cups, provide the water and ice, set up the table and chair, and make the signage.*

With all our ducks in a row, Babe was in business.

When the first car passed him by, he threw down his hands in disgust. The second one that passed caused a foot stamping. The third? He yelled "You have an ugly car."

In my brain, I mentally checked "salesperson" off the list of potential careers.

Then, like a miracle from above, neighbor children started appearing. The first set of two asked me for refills; I deferred to The Babe's opinion and he stated "That will be a quarter." With his hand held out!**

Then the first car of unknown origin appeared. And bought three cups of the sugary, pink stuff.

And so it went, until the first batch of lemonade was gone and there was a customer waiting for me to hurry and make the next.

It was a hoppin' little business. And, as for industrious? Babe turned a tidy profit, with enough of the liquid sweetness left to do another round tomorrow!***

To say I am proud of him is not only true, buy an understatement. He's a kid who acts just like I used to: when he is unsure of where to get the money for something he wants, he might fuss for a few minutes regarding his circumstances, but then he figures out how to earn what he needs.

Now we just have to work on how he handles rejection. And find that third car and apologize to the owner.

And, hopefully, sell her a glass of liquid gold!



*This lemonade stand defines parenting: they give a little, you give a ton.

**YES! A capitalist in training. That I birthed!

***Which is currently sitting in the refrigerator, gently calling my name, reminding me of the delicious pink lemonade tequilas my awesome upstairs neighbor introduced me to when I was still single. LOVE THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment