Saturday, January 22, 2011

God's Writing

On the first anniversary of Mom's death, I felt convicted that I should sit down and send a little note to two of my friends who have recently lost their Daddy's.

I had one of those "God" experiences when I started typing; my hands were running across the keyboard like a thoroughbred loosed. I had control but had none. It was altogether amazing and slightly scary at the same time.

I crave the times when God steps into my writing and takes over, but I don't seem to have them often enough. Sadly, I know who to blame for that (ME!) and I know the answer to finding God in the details more often (daily time in the Word, stepping out of the busy life I lead, etc).

After all is said and done, though, I am human. I forget the importance of Monday through Sunday communication and reading scripture and being quiet.

Sound familiar?

Tonight, I reread what I sent to my girl friends. Both girls, though we've had little contact in the last several weeks, responded immediately. That told me what I had sent was something that struck a collective nerve.

The email was God speaking through me. I typed; He narrated. And, believe me, the narrative is a thing of beauty. That's how I know it is from Him.

As you read this, imagine God being the "I" in the conversation and "you" being the object of the email.

Though there are faults in the writing*, no doubt created by me, I do so see God in the details and in the thought.

I've said it before: He's a gentleman. He absolutely adores you and wants you to be His, but He is going to pursue you gently and wait until YOU ARE READY.

Are you ready?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about you. I've been a little silent lately; haven't felt much like writing.

I realize my silence is matched most days by yours, so I think we understand each other. Just because the words aren't flowing doesn't mean the thoughts aren't.

I just really wanted you to know today that I love you. And I feel your pain. And I wish I could make it go away. Far, far away.

But, since I can't, I'm saying a prayer for you and sending this. I hope you'll understand how much you mean to me and how glad I am that you are in my life.

And even when our lives don't intersect as much as we wish they did, that doesn't mean you mean less to me. In fact, often days, I realize it means you mean more. Because, when we do sit down to chat, the conversation flows like water. And that is the biggest sign that we have a friendship that runs deep and actually means something.

Thank you for being you. Call or write when you want. Meanwhile, I'll be thinking of you. In my silence.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*For example, God never, ever forgets us. His eye is "on the sparrow" so how much more is it on those created in His image?

And He craves constant communication. We just step away too often to know He is talking to us.

God also isn't silent most of the time. He is speaking to our hearts but we are too busy to listen.

He also can make the pain go away, through prayer and earnest seeking of His glory, but most of the time we are too caught up in our humanity to see that this pain is temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment