Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat

I have this love/hate relationship with Halloween.

On the love side, I remember the 31st, years ago, when we lived in Michigan and I was so sick I couldn't go trick-or-treating. Mom took an old sheet, cut eye holes in it, and took my bag and went house-to-house for me.

That's what Mom's do: we do our best, when our kid's chips are down, to build them right back up.

On the hate side, I remember the first time, a couple of years ago, that we realized the extent of the kid's allergies and we were forced to make them choose just a few pieces of candy out of a bazillion that they could enjoy. The rest? Gone.*

That's what parents do: we help our kids make decisions that are the right ones, not necessarily the EASY ones.

On the love side, I've always thought a good costume was worth it's weight. It's nice, for one day a year, to assume the identity of someone besides yourself. I loved dressing up in Dad's size 15 shoes and stuffing his jean jacket to be a hobo when I was younger. I was positively glowing in my fake chocolate brown, cinnamon bun, yarn braids that completed my fifth grade Princess Leia outfit. In that moment, I WAS the beloved of Luke.**

That's what parents do: when our kids have dreams, we equip them with the goods to make those dreams come true.

On the hate side, I just don't like celebrating a holiday that is so filled with scary images and blood and gore. I don't like it when my kids decide they'd rather be "Chucky" than "Prince Charming". Or when a bloody sword is more appetizing than a white horse.

But, that's what parents do: we walk a thin line between what the world offers and what is good and right and true. And, at times, we make determinations about how to be Godly in a world that is working hand-in-hand with the Devil.

So, I'm coming to terms with Halloween. We're doing a mission's project in the afternoon and dressing up in the evening to go door-to-door.

We're not carving a pumpkin because they make Daddy gag. But, we're proudly displaying the one The Babe painted at school.

In short, we're making compromises. We're still learning how to navigate this thorny path of life, melding two lifetimes of Halloween memories together, to make our children's lives the best blend of the good that we both brought to the table.

And, in the process, we're still learning what's good and right and true. And, for now, I think we can still enjoy this little holiday without fear of anyone turning to the dark side.

UNLESS Mike shows up in a Darth Vader costume tomorrow.

In that case? I fear all bets are off.


*OK. Truly? Mike and I probably ate half of what was left. But neither of us has allergies, unless you can consider being a few pounds overweight an allergy.

**Even though he ended up being my brother and all that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment