Friday, July 9, 2010

Here's Your Sign

So, as I stated yesterday, my cousin was due to arrive at the airport last night. 'Cept, that didn't happen.

Why? Because I've been moving at warp speed all week and have had Thursday on my mind. Not Georgia. Not my calendar. Thursday.

Last night, I checked American Airlines' website. Flight delayed two plus hours. Thank you unseasonably rainy weather.

So, I diligently checked the clock about everything 13 minutes and trucked it to the airport at 9:45pm, sat in baggage claim C15, watched the empty carousel for about 20 minutes until I saw the "Detroit" and "1747" pop up. "Any minute now." I thought, staring at the glass that separates the travelers from the wannabes.

I saw all sort of people come through the revolving door. None of them were my cousin.

Then I started to panic. "She's only 21! What if something happened in Detroit and NOBODY knows she's been abducted. I didn't start traveling solo until I was 24. What the heck was I thinking encouraging her to come here by herself? I'm never forgive myself if something has happened."

Then, I came to my senses and texted her "Where ru i'm at c15".*

What seemed like an eternity later, my phone rang. A very reluctant cousin asked if I was at the aiport. "Why, yes!"**

Well, a few seconds later and a "Thank you for making a trip to the airport tonight", I realized I had come 24 hours too early.

DUH hardly begins to cover it.

As luck would have it, we have another storm overhead right now. I'm sure the flight will be delayed. But, by golly, with my dry run out of the way, I'm loaded for bear tonight.

Let's just hope my brain has tripped back to "on" mode and I can find my way home after picking her up.

*I stink at texting. The only way I would even consider sexting Mike was if we had a pact that he wouldn't laugh at all the misspelling and ruin the "moment".

**As I'm thinking "AND I WAS EARLY. EARLY. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?? ME NEITHER!!"

2 comments:

  1. But you do text..... Ah, what we learn by reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only when FORCED to do so out of sheer desperation and complete guilt. Otherwise, NO.

    ReplyDelete