Thursday, July 8, 2010

Is There a Doctor in the House?

Late tonight, my cousin from Michigan will join us for a week of Texas "stuff". We'll do the usual suspects such as the Mesquite Rodeo and Southern Junction but we'll also be catching a couple of movies and maybe a pedicure along the way.

The boys are SO excited to have the first "official" guest in the house. I was so thrilled I used it as an excuse to finally clear out the guest bedroom/Mommy retreat and fixed it up purty-like. I even used PINK.*

As I was tucking the wee little Babe in tonight, I learned he has decided to be the first to run to cousin's room in the morning and wake her up.

So, we practiced knocking**. And not opening the door before being invited in.

Then he added what he was going to say. He was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious excited about this part and was practically shouting when he said, "I'm going to walk in and say DOCTOR DOODLE DOO!"

It took every fiber in my body to not morph from wide smile to laugh. It was too precious not to hear again, so we practiced it.

And, no. I didn't correct him. Life will do that, someday.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think basking in the joy of being the resident rooster/doctor is what life is all about.


*For those of you who know me, I'm not much into pink, so my pink looks like it has been shot with red food coloring and left for dead. "Shocking punk rock pink" might be an apt description.

**I know this seems obvious, but the first time we went through the routine, he almost knocked the paint off his headboard. Second time around, with me saying "Gently. Gently.", the sound was inaudible. I'm just not sure HOW this will play out in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment