Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Reading List

I noticed today that my conglomeration of books that get dragged out of the house every time I leave for more than 24 hours is odd. Strange. Wacky.

I think it must be the way my brain is wired. That being, I don't stick to one topic for long periods of time without getting extremely bored.

I'm the gal that couldn't imagine working for the same company, in the same job, for more than about 2.5 years. Being a "lifer" at T.I. just wasn't/isn't in my blood.

Which leads me to wonder: how am I able to enjoy and be completely, totally, utterly committed to my family for the long haul? I'm still working on figuring out the differences on that one.

Back to my original reason for writing this: summer books.

Here's the list:
So Long Insecurity: you've been a bad friend to us by Beth Moore
Completely life-altering, if you allow it to be. This book caused me to put a microscope on myself and look into places that were deeply hurt, saddened, and full of shame, and release all my insecurities squarely in God's lap. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Change your Brain, Change you Body by Dr. Daniel Amen
Jury's out on this one. I've listened to the four CDs in the car and agree with a lot of what Dr. Amen says, but the fact that he leaves "gut health" out of the equation just doesn't sit well with me. I'd say the CDs are a good start if you are a novice at the whole "healthy living" perspective.

My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being a Dumb Ass Is the New Black, or a Culture-Up Manifesto by Jen Lancaster
I was separated at birth from this girl; she got 90% of the girlie genetic material and I got too much testosterone. But, I can completely see sitting drinking margaritas with her and having such a liquor/ADD fest that we'd both pee our pants. I've been a fan of hers through four books and this one is shaping up to be another fav. Warning: if you caught that there is a curse word in the title, then you can imagine there is cussing in the book. Put this on a high shelf so Jen doesn't teach your newly-minted reader sailor-worthy swear words.

The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know About Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare by Chip Ingram
Haven't started this yet. Somehow it made it to the bottom of one of my bags and just resurfaced (sorry Shelley!) But, since I've had more than my share of angels and demons visit me in the past (bring a bottle of wine and a couple of hours for these stories), I KNOW this stuff is real--not to mention the fact that it is referred to in the Bible. I also know I've just left a time of warfare, so I want to prepare myself for the next onslaught. Because, there will be one.

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
I listened to this book on a road trip. I have been a fan of Dave's for awhile now, but now I'm a mega-fan. So much good, practical advice coupled with gentle and hard kicks in the pants. Plus, Dave reads the book with that charming Tennessee drawl. What's NOT to love?

So, what are you reading this summer? Anything you'd recommend? Eventually I'll be done with this stack so I'm looking for my next reading fix. Please supply me so I don't go into withdrawals. OK?

2 comments:

  1. Marilynne Robinson - Home & Gilead. Companion novels (i.e. - they weave the same story. one does not have to be read first.) I preferred Home over Gilead. Very wordy, so it takes a while to get into, but OH SO WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Have to check Mrs. Robinson out...but not in a Dustin Hoffman/Graduate kind of way :)

    ReplyDelete