Friday, April 19, 2013

Changing Expectations



I have probably been guilty of unrealistic expectations more than anyone else I know.  I have been positive that I knew exactly how relationships were supposed to work, how people should act, and pretty much why I'm right in almost any given situation.

I've even, gulp, been known to try to separate "Christian" from "non-Christian" behaviors.

I'm sure God has had plenty of moments of displeasure with me over the years.
I'm positive He has shaken His precious head in disbelief that He has, over and over, sent messengers into my life, spoken words of wisdom through the Bible and learned teachers, and allowed life-altering experiences that were all meant to convince me that I didn't have all the answers (and, that I should wipe that smug look off my face and pride out of my heart.)

What I used to lack in learning lessons quickly, I have gained back in my later years.  I have become a "picker" of things.  I often know when something I read or see is directed at me or someone I am praying over.  I can see God's handiwork in situations.  I feel led to share certain articles I've read with specific people who are struggling.  I draw lines between circumstances, effectively removing "coincidence" from my life, instead assigning things to God.

But, hear me loud and clear:  this isn't of me;  this is of God.  I am simply a conduit.

We expect life to be easy, even when there is compelling Biblical evidence that following Christ is ANYTHING but easy.
We expect life to be painless, even against compelling Biblical evidence that sin creates a great deal of pain, pain that ripples out and grabs at people who didn't even commit the sin.

It isn't life that needs to change, it is our expectations about life.

The following reading came from the Angel Learning Network Chaplain's page, one of the pages Nickels sees daily as he home schools.  I did not write it and I do not take credit for it;  I am responsible for the underlining.  

I hope you are glad I decided to share it with you today.  




 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jesus replied, "Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?" - Mark 9:12


Jesus was responding to the doubts His disciples had about Jesus’ death. In their minds, there was no way that Jesus could possibly be put to death. It did not fit into the box they had put their Messiah into. In their mind, their Messiah was going to continue to gain popularity and power. He would then assemble an army, claim the throne of David, and overthrow the Romans before restoring Israel to it prior glory. Jesus was correcting this limiting expectation. 

As members of the human race, Jesus’ followers did not need an earthly king, a conquering hero. They needed a savior, a redeemer, a High Priest, eternal salvation... Their desire and expectation that Jesus would be the next powerful ruler of their earthly kingdom was much less than Jesus planned on accomplishing. It was much less than they needed. Their expectations limited His amazing plan for them. His death and resurrection accomplished those plans. 

Sometimes, our grand plans and noble desires for God’s work in our life actually limit what God really wants to accomplish. God is not as interested in our happiness as He is our holiness. He is not as concerned about our temporary pleasure as He is our eternal life. He is not as taken with our reputation as He is our righteousness. These priorities should form our expectations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment