Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2016 (the movie, not the year)

Since I know that some of you who read this blog are squarely in favor of four more years of the Big O, I am going to reserve the right NOT to explain my opinion of the movie 2016 (though I am pretty sure you can guess what I thought if you've seen it.)

From what I've observed this election cycle, there are precious few on either side of the fence that can manage to make their opinion heard above the hatred of the other side.  So, out of deference for our differences, a desire not to start trouble where it isn't necessary, and a true understanding that nothing I can say will sway what the other side believes, I am going to keep my big trap shut.

Now mind you, this is not out of lack of a strong opinion of the current state of our country.  A country I love and would fight to defend, if that was ever necessary.

I am choosing not to use my blog to start a flurry of back and forth comments about politics.  I would prefer to do that with you personally, over a bottle of wine.  That way you can also be party to the look on my face when you say something that I think is beyond ridiculous.

Instead, I am going to gently encourage you to rent the movie, watch it, and decide for yourself if this could possibly be the state of the union. 

Do the ideas of the movie maker match what we are seeing happen in our government?

Where will four more years take us?

Here's the only commentary you are going to get out of me:  if you were even paying remote attention to what was promised during the last campaign cycle, you understood, peripherally, what this movie said explicitly.  And I say that to give credit to President Obama.  I don't think he tried to dupe us;  he told us what he was going to do, be it from speeches or debates or books he's written.  You just had to pay a little attention, draw conclusions from inferences, and connect the dots.

The question then remains, for you to answer at the polls in November, do you like what Obama has done and where he is taking us with healthcare, taxes, and such?  If you can answer that question, you already know how to vote.

Regardless of how you decide to answer, get your butt to the polls!  Someday you will want to be able to tell your Grandchildren that you voted in this election and be able to explain the state of the country to them in terms of your decision, whether your candidate wins or loses.

In the end, after this election, we have this assurance, that "...to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

I, for one, vote for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment