Monday, October 22, 2012

Hallelujah!

I think sometimes I set my expectations too low when it comes to people.  I guess years of not expecting much leads you to be that way at times.  So, it is really nice when not only one person, but an entire group of them, actually not only comes through, but manages to make you cry with joy.  That's what happened when we met with Nickels' teachers this past week.

It came as no surprise to any of them that our boy has ADHD.
They pronounced him capable and smart and kind.
In a word, they understood.  And the knowledge that they get him is priceless to me.

I know, when I send him off in the morning, that he is going to be treated with the same kid gloves he is at home.  Those same gloves sometimes hide brass knuckles.  But we all agreed that Nickels is the kind of kid that needs some tough love to keep him from erring off track at times.

I know, when I receive the ding-a-ling, that no one at the school is judging me for my parenting.  They understand, if only from 45 minute, weekday snippets, that leading a horse to water is only half the battle.  They understand that my job ends with the backpack containing the completed work, not the next step of properly turning things over to the teacher.  Or not eating or talking in class.  Or deciding to tell a lie to get out of doing work.

I know, when the principal see Nickels, that her radar will be on high.  She will be looking to praise him for doing good but prepared to dole out that extra measure of love that gives him detention if he doesn't walk the straight and narrow.

This knowledge is priceless.
This knowledge is a balm to my soul.
This knowledge is the assurance I have from God that all is well.

And this knowledge reflects God's love for me.

I am not assured an easy walk.  In fact, I am guaranteed that my actions will have consequences.

I try to remember that I am only being expected to do the jobs that are assigned directly to me.  What other people do, even people I love, is not a reflection of my worth or abilities.  I can only rescue myself, with help from God.

I know that God whispers sweet nothings in my ear and, if I listen, will make sure that the road I take is the one He wants me on.  If I step off the path, He will correct me, out of love for my well-being.

And, these aren't just promises for me, they are promises for all of us who walk in Christ, including my teenage boy.

So, it is with an immense amount of respect that I thank the Covenant School for recognizing who my son is, loving him where he is at the moment, and giving me (and Mike) a great deal of peace of mind.

And, it is with even more love that I thank our Savior for allowing such an amazing school to exist, for allowing our boy to be admitted, and for allowing our son a place to thrive.

Now, it is time to let Nickels do his thing.  We survived the first nine weeks with all passing grades.  Time to repeat, hopefully with gained knowledge of how to make this school thing work easier and better for all involved.

With a ton of prayer uplifting him, a God who loves him cheering him on, teachers and administrators who have his back, and with parents who will do their part, I don't see how Nickels could possibly feel anything but love, hope, and encouragement surrounding him.

So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.  May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
2 Thessalonians 2:15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment