Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Can We All Just Agree?

I am a Republican, Conservative Woman....and there are a ton of myths out there about me.

Because my husband owns his own business and does well for himself and my children attend private schools, I've been labeled rich and out-of-touch with the regular guy.

Because I attend church and support Christian causes, I've been labeled old-fashioned.

Because I choose not to picket against certain businesses or sign petitions for causes or walk in rallies, I've been labeled uncaring.

Because I apply Biblical truths to situations, I've been labeled a bigot, homophobe, and a hater.

Because I choose not to wear my giving on my sleeve, I've been labeled a non-giving tight wad.

Because I think that sweeping social programs often end up in corruption and sometimes do more harm than good, I've been labeled cold and heartless.

Because I believe there is an economic limit to the spending our government can do without harming the overall health of our economy, I have been labeled greedy.

Yet, I am none of these things. These labels have been thrust on me by people who don't even know who I am or what I stand for. They have never once walked a mile in my shoes.

They affiliate me with the negative stereotypes the talking heads and news anchors and talk show hosts sensationalize for their own agenda.

They throw me under the bus, call me names, create divides between me and others and curse at me and those who share my affiliations.

But they don't know me.  They THINK they know my "type".

They have never asked once WHY my children attend private schools.  They assume I am an elitist that feels my children are "above" a public school education.
They don't know the sacrifices we have made to own our own business.  Or the extra burden of taxes or paperwork that we deal with.
They don't know that I love Christ with all my heart and desire to walk in His path, a path that is love and peace and forgiveness.
They've never once seen where I donate my time, talents, or tithe.
They don't know that I've worked with the poor and read studies about the ills of social programs and debated over where the line should be drawn.
They don't know that I have a degree in economics and understand what this country is going through financially.  They assume my opinions are based on my greediness.

They.just.don't.know.

So, today, I'm putting this line in the sand:  you don't know me.  I don't know you.

If we can agree that, politically and socially, we probably aren't going to come to terms, then let's shake on it and stop trying to beat each other up.

We aren't enemies by nature, we just disagree.  That doesn't make either side bad.  So let's agree to bless each other, no matter our political, religious, or economic background.

Let's agree that people who want to divide us can only do it with our permission.
Let's be critical about what we say and how we say it, trying to avoid being hateful and ugly.
Let's seek to understand those who are different than we are.  Let's be open to having our views and opinions respectfully questioned.  Let's seek to encourage understanding, even if there might not be complete agreement.

In a word, let's seek peace in this war.  Let us come to the table with an olive branch, not a hammer.  Let us seek to encourage honest debate in an effort to work together.  Where we see unnecessary branding of the "other side", let's stand up for truth, not lies and half-baked claims that don't hold water.

If we can't agree on anything else between now and November, can't we at least agree on THIS?

2 comments:

  1. It seems you are not alone in this question. Or at least the general understanding that our ability to dialog with one another, to seek common understanding, is seriously broken n this society. All I can say is that, as Christians, we are called to model the better way. The way of our Lord. As you do every day Jill.

    As does my friend Bill, who writes the following:
    http://tbmaston.blogspot.com/2012/08/finding-god-where-we-least-expect-him.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well played by Mr. Jones, indeed. Worth the read and, me thinks, dead on point.

    It is hard to listen critically, not listen to be critical. But that is what we are called to do....

    ReplyDelete