Monday, August 6, 2012

How to Ruin a Customer's Opinion and Drive Your Business into the Ground in a Few Emails

Email from me:

I have a Groupon that we need to schedule for late August/September, if possible.  Anytime the week of August 27, starting time before 1pm and anytime the week of September 3rd (excluding Monday, of course) starting time before 1pm works.

My Groupon number #**-**

Thanks, Jill Nowell

RESPONSE:  What is it for?

Email from me:
The 2-Hour Detox

 RESPONSE:  Did we discuss extending the expiration date for you?  Also, there was a bonus of clients being able to receive a massage at 50% off, along with a complimentary body scrub, giving you discounts on top of discounts.  Since the voucher has expired, we would probably need for you to do this.  It is a very awesome deal and everyone who took us up on the offer enjoyed the services a great deal.  Gratuities need to be based upon full value.  Also, we will need to get a valid MC or Visa to reserve your space, required of all clients, voucher or not, prevents no shows & last minute cancellations, standard at nice spas.  It's good to know that you can come in during the weekdays. 
Off email commentary by me:
Yes, we did discuss extending the expiration date, twice on the phone, in fact.  The first conversation was quite pleasant, you took my phone number and told me you'd call me back.  I finally called your company back and the phone was answered by an employee in between sessions who was extremely busy-sounding and who told me to send an email;  that is what started this chain of emails to begin with.


I was told of the bonus deals but not told I would "probably" need to do this during our second conversation.

Clearly, Groupon states that gratuities are based upon full value.  I appreciate a good deal, especially when (as in this case), the deal was a gift.  I tip generously.  Almost to a fault, if you ask my husband.


Fine on the credit card.  Standard, I agree.

I'm sure you like weekday clients because I realize weekends at a spa are hectic.  Win-win.


Email from me:

I called before the expiration date to schedule and was lost in the system.  My time during the week is somewhat limited so I would like to do just the detox.
I will be glad to provide a credit card number over the phone or at your location.
You can reach me at 214,762,5706.
Thanks...Jill
Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
Off email commentary by me:
Um, this sounds a bit like financial blackmail.  The person who gifted this to me paid for a service you packaged together.  Now, in order to use it, because we've been unable to schedule something, I have to buy MORE to get the original deal?  HMMMM.

RESPONSE:  Jill, you were not lost in the system.  I personally remember calling you several times and have written notes at the spa; was not able to reach you and the calls were not returned for whatever reason. 
Although most places that I know of don't do this, we were willing to extend the voucher expiration date if people asked prior to the expiration.  It's no problem with us honoring it, just to give you the benefit of the doubt.  However, since we are compromising with you and we now are taking care of not only our regulars but other people from various specials as well as daily deal vouchers, we would need for you to also compromise and help our therapists out by allowing them to at least earn a little something.  Otherwise, we are no longer doing those treatments, everyone has come through already, even those where we extended the vouchers.  There was good reason why we had an expiration date in the first place, so that we could space our specials out and take care of everyone properly.  Again, this was a really awesome deal by itself, valued at $270 I believe, and with the discounted massage and complimentary body scrub, this takes you up to at least $400 in savings!  I don't know what more we could offer and still be in business if we only had this offer going.  So at the very least, we feel it to be fair if you'd go ahead and do the upgrade and I can guarantee that you will thoroughly enjoy that massage, also the free body scrub with vichy rainshower.  If you don't have much time then schedule on the weekend; although we are more busy then, we would be willing to compromise there too, to allow you to not have to rush.  It's only 1 more hour than the 2-hr detox package itself.  It does not take long to do a body scrub but it feels so nice with the rainshower and after all the heat of the wrap & infrared.  This way you would leave with a much cooler body temperature than you will with just those heated treatments.  Please - we packaged those treatments together for specific reason and I know that you will enjoy them all.  You (and your health) are certainly worth these treatments.  Also, most places would never dream of giving customers discount on top of discount and then multiplied like that. 
So all we're asking is for a little compromise on your part for our staff, while at the same time, you're going to reap all the benefits from doing so.  Just go ahead and treat yourself well.  Please make this easy and beneficial for us all, including yourself.  Thank you very much.   

Off email commentary by me:
Wow.  Thanks for giving me the "benefit of the doubt".  When I read that I could tell you value your customers, who are clearly liars and cheats for the most part.

Your therapists earn "nothing" on a Groupon?  I mean, I was going to tip...and you received some cut from Groupon.  Sounds like you need to share the wealth.

So you are "no longer doing these treatments"?  What were they, cheap?  Not well received?  Generally, you offer your BEST during a Groupon to entice people to come back for more.  

Also, if you "packaged together those treatments", and my original Groupon only included half of them, was the original Groupon "incomplete"?

"Please make this easy and beneficial for all of us, including" myself?  Well, that should be easy.  Keep reading....

Email from me:
(Albeit, a bit testy, I felt as though I was being attacked by the previous email AND railroaded into doing something that I didn't have time to do.
I have NEVER.  NOT ONCE, been treated this way when trying to book at ANY spa I've ever been to.  This was incredibly bizarre to me.
So, I decided to add some clout/teeth to the conversation.)
I have been to spas all over the world.  I am keenly aware of the benefits you are mentioning.  I have also felt..as I have mentioned..lost in the shuffle.
Clearly we are not going to come to terms nor to a mutually agreeable date so I will excuse myself from booking with your business.
Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
Response:
And I've been working in this industry for 20 years, having worked at some of the finest.  This, and also what you're saying, is meaningless, however, when it comes to our discussion herein.  This is a unique & customized package that we created ourselves to achieve certain synergistic benefits.  It, by the way, is NOT offered exactly this way in other spas of the world, no matter what spa you've been to.  Also, keep in mind that our spa specializes in detoxification, more than you probably know because not everything is on the website.  We don't undermine anything that we do and ask that you also not do this.  After all, with my 20 years experience, multitude of licenses, and the unique experience of other staff members, we ARE some of those very same therapists who have worked in spas all over the world. 
It is only you who is stating that clearly we are not going to come to terms or find a mutually agreeable date.  In my last email I clearly stated that we would be willing to do this treatment for you even on a busy Saturday or during the week; either would be fine, I said.  So where you got info opposite of this, I don't know. 
It does not appear that you've appreciated nor acknowledged the fact that we are also willing to extend the expiration date for you.  In that massage, we would have even given you a little more time, COMPLIMENTARY, if desired.  This, along with the FREE body scrub/vichy, plus 50% off on the massage, doesn't this speak for something, that I'm really trying to work with you and please you?  I've even guaranteed your satisfaction because this is how good we all are.  EVERY single one of our therapists are highly skilled, excellent at what they do.  We have other clients who've gone to spas all over the world but they come out of our treatments, especially massages, saying that it was the very BEST massage they've had ever!  I would never guarantee this if it were not the case, believe me.
Lastly, you speak of being lost in the shuffle...I have no idea of what you're speaking of.  Again, I personally made attempts to contact you on at least 3 occasions that I remember.  You never responded.  We can't just keep on calling and calling and not serve other customers.  And obviously you have not been trying to reach us during all this time because these few emails are the only time since you first called that we've even heard from you.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable in anything that I'm asking of you, while also trying to GIVE all kinds of goodies to you, and yet it seems like you're impatiently drawing conclusions and giving up on receiving what could be at least one of the very best experiences you've had in spas.  I won't beg you, however, but the courtesy is being extended, nevertheless, and we will do our very best work, as usual, for you too.  Lastly, I'm sorry if you felt that we didn't care about you, this is not the case, but I cannot just allow you to say untrue things that imply we never made attempts to contact you and get you scheduled.  And even regardless of all that, assuming if we had not served you well, the fact is, I'm now extending loads of kindness to you.  It is up to you to now.  We'd love to have you as our guest but either way, it's fine with us.

Off email commentary by me:
Wow. 

I wouldn't completely ignore a customer who has said multiple times they felt "overlooked", even if I "remembered" leaving them three messages.  I wouldn't expect them to kiss my shoes for extending a date BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T ACCOMMODATE ME BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE.

It is really hard to totally isolate a customer, write in lawyer speak, spit venom, AND use shouty caps in an email, but she accomplished ALL OF THIS!
Needless to say, said spa is not ever going to get my business.
And, dare I say, the owner is darned lucky I decided not to out the name of her strip center, dime a dozen, day spa.

1 comment: