Monday, May 14, 2012

Post Mother's Day Encouragement

Ladies--
Yesterday was Mother's Day...the day we celebrated YOU!  You who have given life everything you have to raise your kids and do your best to make another generation productive and generous and, dare I say, happy?

Most of you know my Mom has been gone for three Mother's Days now.  This was the first year I could venture down the card aisle and not be bitter.  In fact, it wasn't until Sunday morning, in the shower getting ready for church, that it really dawned on me that she wasn't here for brunch or a card or a spa gift.  And, yes, there was a little pain in thinking that it sure would be nice to have it the other way, but there was mostly happiness in knowing that we can survive, and even thrive, once our Moms are gone.

I tell you that not to ruin your mascara, but so that you know that you are leaving a legacy.  You won't soon be forgotten.  Your memory won't fade like some old Polaroid.  Your death will be painful for your children and they will miss you.  But they will move forward and cherish the memories and miss you with smiles on their faces.

What you do today is important.  Just like yesterday and the day before that and three years from now will be.  You are building the greatest memories for your children just by being you.

And, do you know how I know that?  Because, as I walked that card aisle to purchase cards this year, I saw row after row of cards that proclaimed "You are the best Mom in the history of the world!"  Not one card.  Not two.  But all of them said this.

At that moment I realized that God created ME (and by proxy, you!) to journey down this path called Motherhood with each of the children He graced us with.  We are the best Moms in the history of the world because HE made us specifically for our children, for this time, for a very specific, important reason:  because we, with all our faults, and angry moments, and frustrations, are EXACTLY who our children needed.  No one else could have fulfilled this role as well as we have!  And, to our kids, we are the best gift God could have ever given them.

We ARE the best Moms in the history of our children's worlds!

Now that all the Mother's Day hoopla has come and gone, remember that each and every day you are special.  You are unique.  You are super-duper, pooper-scooper, important to your kids.  Even when they don't show it, are too young to know it, forget to honor you, or even hurt your feelings, you are still an important cog in this wheel of progress called life, all the days you have life, and even after. 

You.are.da.bomb.Mom.

And don't you EVER, EVER forget that.

XOXO.  MommaJ

3 comments:

  1. This is so so great Jill....Brad and I talk about this ALL the time...we have some very "special needs" for one of our children...actually all of them seeing as how we uniquely became a family...but one child imparticular...I often say how in other circumstances where he started off his life he would not have gotten the medical treatment etc he needs.....I often have to remind myself thatis only part of it.

    I was at a "talking Dr" a yr or so back and I was talking about this particular child. Mind you this Dr knows ALOT about me..my past etc... I kept wondering what he would say. When he looked at me and said " I cannot imagine..imagine.. a better suited person to be his mother..." I almost fell off the couch. I assumed he would say "wow..all this crap on top of the crap you have already been through...." Instead he saw what I see now...that every single one of our children are hand picked by HIM to be our children.

    I am very very humbled by this. I try everyday..failing miserably at times...to be that mother that God knows I can be.

    Great Post!

    liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on trucking, Liz! You have a lot on your plate but also a lot to give. So glad the post spoke to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    liz...

    so busy but thanks for the gifts..it meant so much to me

    ReplyDelete