Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blurry

I forgot I had a blog.  No joking.  It just sort of fell out of my head somewhere in the past few days.

It's probably because April has been a blur.  It has reminded me of the photographic method where one guy is standing still and the rest of life is on high-speed and the people move with long, white lines after them, lines indicating their movement compared to the person standing still.

In April I was, simultaneously, the guy standing still taking it all in and the guy with the streaky line following me.

May is shaping up to be blurry, too.  And I'm not a fan of blurry.  I like to look back and say with confidence "That.  THAT is what we did on that day, in that month, during that period of our lives."

I dislike looking backward and realizing, somewhere, the boys have grown again and I missed it happening.  I wish they had some sort of timer in them, like a Thanksgiving turkey has a red button that pops up, that would indicate "YO.  Something big?  About to happen to this boy."  That would be so stinkin' handy.  Then, I could get the camera ready by checking the batteries and getting it focused and waiting on the timer to pop up and announce the change is upon us.  And, I'd catch it in digital glory.

Lately, it seems every comment I hear is "Look how much ___ has grown" or "I can't believe he is almost seven" or "The season is over in one week".  Where did the sands of time go?  It's like the clock has this escape valve that allows time to silently leak out of our realm, unnoticed until a group of people is standing around, scratching their heads, wondering "How did that month just seem to pass by us so quickly?"

So, if time is doing the same thing in your life, it is time we got together.  Because, before we know it, one of us will be using a walker and trying to understand the conversation of the other, spoken through a new set of dentures.

Get that calendar out.  And call me, OK?  Let's get our social on in May so we can put a line in the sand and be able to say "It was directly AFTER we got together over dinner and drinks that that happened."

And maybe.  Just maybe.  We can slow that clock down by a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment