Sunday, January 22, 2012

Girly Legos

Dear women who are getting their panties in a wad about Lego deciding to cater to girls:

I'm sick of hearing you complain.

Why is it a such an offense that there are inherent differences between girls and boys, women and men?  We were made to enjoy different things.  Stop trying to make everything vanilla, plain and boring by equalizing everything between the sexes.  It was never meant to be that way.

Every time I hear your cries about this that or the other being unfair, and how, in the name of equality and gender indifference, we need to change x, y and z, I want to throw up on your boots.

You DON'T speak for me.  Never have, never will.  Because I clearly see that God had a plan in making girls into women and boys into men.  We have different talents, skills, and emotional needs.  And, sure, there is SOME crossover.  But, we aren't gender neutral.

And it really troubles me that you are up in arms about an issue that, clearly, you haven't even researched.  If you look at the Lego website or go to the store, then you would know these sets are being marketed to girls: 

Cafe, tree house, vet clinic, house, beauty shop, convertible, bakery, pool, rock -n- roll stage, invention workshop, pet patrol, puppy house, fashion design studio, and dog show.

Yet, all I keep hearing is "Lego is trying to keep the girls down.  Why can't we have Legos that move and do stuff."

Um.  Rock -n- roll stage?  Invention workshop?  Vet clinic?  Tree house?  Am I missing something here?

In case providing sets with animals is giving you grief, keep in mind that most girls think puppies and babies are really cute.  Given a choice between playing house and guns, they'll do chores any day of the week, thank you.

And, newsflash, when we were younger, many of us dreamed of raising babies and owning a puppy, along with marrying a man who would take care of us and provide a house with a white picket fence. 

When you figure out that many of us feel just fine walking around planet earth with breasts and vaginas, wearing jewelry and perfume and being called "wife" and "Mom", you'll understand that you don't speak for the majority.  YOU, in fact, are the very loud, obnoxious MINORITY.

I don't want to, nor will I, take away girl's rights to do whatever makes them feel competent, needed, and heard.  However, I happen to believe that embracing who you were made to be generally fits that bill nicely.  And, when the next generation of girls is surrounded by women who always feel like they are getting shafted?  You aren't helping the issue one bit.  It's time to teach our girls to embrace the difference between them and their male counterparts and be grateful for it!

If you were born to become a woman, you are welcome to shatter stereotypical roles.  Feel free to play with the "regular" Legos*. But keep at the back of your mind that men have turf, too.  And they are competitive.  And if you want to play on their field, you'll have to bring it.  Bring it big.  And, that isn't unfair.  It's life.

And, while you are complaining that you dislike things that are girly and fighting for your "rights", where does that leave those of us who WANT girly options to exist?  Is it right or fair for you to trample on OUR rights?

I, personally, can't wait to spend my money at the Lego store buying girly Legos for my nieces and the other females on my list, IF THEY WANT THEM.  Meanwhile, feel free to continue to give your daughters whatever toys float your boat, including the regular Legos.  I promise I won't complain if I find them playing Army man with my sons.  They just better not cry when they get pegged in the head by a BB.

Meanwhile?  I am going to put on my earrings, pull my hair back in a pony, and throw on my pink panties. 

Viva Girl Power!

MommaJ

*Which, incidentally, aren't called BOYS Legos;  they are gender neutral.  And I don't hear a bunch of men whining about THAT.

2 comments:

  1. And love it when a man still hurries to open a door for you instead of sneaking through after you while you hold the door!!


    Amen Sister!! Totally Agree!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! There is nothing better than letting men treat us like ladies!

    ReplyDelete