Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Writing Bliss

Writing is a lonely pursuit. Oftentimes, you pour your heart into writing something and then you wonder "Did anybody out there read that?"

With the "stats" section of Blogger acting up recently, I got to thinking about this a little bit more. Would I continue to write my thoughts in this format if I knew for a fact that nobody was reading?

It reminded me of Will Smith's character golfing off the ship in the harbor in "I Am Legend"*. Truly, what was the point? He's the only guy left in New York and, possibly, the world. His dog darn sure didn't care where the balls landed. There was no huge tournament to win that required practice. But, somehow, in the midst of his life of solitude, swinging that club and whacking the snot out of that ball helped his soul.

That's what writing does for me. It really isn't tangible. It really isn't explainable. It just practice for a long-off tournament that has no name and no prize. But, somehow, it makes life more bearable, brings me peace, and helps me clarify things in a way that no other form of communication can.

So, if you are reading this today? I have no clue. I quote Blogger: "We're working on it."**

I just hope in some, small way, that what I've said will spark an interest in your soul. That you will take a few moments to think about what it is in this life that holds your interest and makes you tick; it makes you, you.

And I hope that spark will motivate you to figure out what in this world brings you the same kind of satisfaction that writing brings me.


*Sorry. You're going to have to tell me to stop referencing this movie with Crazy Glue to my fingers so I can't type about it anymore.

**That's computer nerd code for "We have NO CLUE what the heck is going on, but we're able to post a cool, pop-up message that will persuade you we are actually TRYING to do something."

1 comment:

  1. Your fans are reading you, even if we have to play catch up from time to time!

    ReplyDelete