Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Just Flat Sweet

One of Nickel's bestest friends is celebrating his birthday with a sleepover this Friday. Since life in friend's house has been crazy with a capital K lately, Mom is throwing everything together last minute and we just got the invitation yesterday.*

In the meantime, Gran's Dallas doctor appointment got moved to Friday and since she and Pop were planning on being at the boy's games on Saturday anyway, she suggested they stay the night on Friday. Sounded great on our end. Except that now we had a quandary.

In corner number one, weighing in with little sleep and lots of farting/belching and the possibility of wrapping some one's house? Friend's birthday sleepover!! In corner number two, with a guarantee of lots of love and a normal bedtime? Time at home with Gran/Pop!**

Obviously, in my mind, the heavyweight in this equation was the sleepover. I expected it to beat time with Pop/Gran, the featherweights in our competition, to a bloody, lifeless pulp. But, before I did anything, I decided to pose the question to Nickels.

And this is where it got really good. My initial assumptions were utterly wrong. In my boy's eyes, there wasn't a good answer. He wanted to do BOTH. So, we talked a bit about the pros/cons of each choice and I left the decision in his court.

This morning, I still don't have an answer. And I love Nickels for that. He has a love for his Pop/Gran that is like my love for my Grandparents. I couldn't wait to spend time with them, especially my Grandpa Robbie, sitting under a big shade tree, talking about life, eating cookies dipped in milk, and just basking in the love I knew he felt for me and I for him.

Even if he chooses to go to the sleepover, I won't be disappointed in the least. He has a healthy respect for the ones he loves and he has proved that for the thousandth time in the care he is taking in making this decision.

How blessed I feel to have been entrusted with such a caring son.


*Totally understandable with the size of her plate and the amount of stuff loaded on it right now.

**Who are giving me and Mike a respite from life by being our babysitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment