Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is Anyone In Washington NOT High?

Dear Mr. President--
In case you haven't noticed, Dave Ramsey, his ideas, his books, his show are really quite popular with the general public these days.

His program plays on most radio stations for three to four hours DAILY. He consistently fills large auditoriums to capacity. In short, there are big, old bunches of people who are fed up with their OWN irresponsible spending habits and are working like banshees to get out of debt.

And, guess what? Those same people vote.

I'm giving you this little heads-up because I hear there is an election on the horizon and I thought you might like to consider toning down the message that "America has money coming out its rear end".

This most recent "Student Loan Relief" program would be a good starting point. In an era where companies are being forced by government regulation to increase the amount of minimum due payments to credit cards, how does it make sense to reduce student loan payments by five percent?

Both of these are debts. Both have an interest rate. But, somehow, credit card debt is evil and student loans aren't? When did what's good for the goose suddenly become horrible for the gander?

Also, I'd really like someone to explain how forgiving a student loan after a period of years makes any sense whatsoever. I know you didn't put that policy into place, but you are proposing that the government forgive loans five years earlier than current law, so you must have a logical argument for this change.

I mean, how much difference is 20 vs. 25 years of payments anyway? Right?

Let's see: for you and Michelle, it would have been a whopping $24,000 worth of difference!* That's a whole lot of Benjamins, dontchathink?

Of course, you paid off the entire enchilada in ten years at $1,000/month. So that puts you squarely in the "middle income" tax bracket I guess. No wonder you can relate to all those college students you rolled this plan out in front of! It's all starting to become crystal clear now!

I think we have to disagree on the next point, but as I see it, if I get myself into debt, it is not only my duty to pay it off, it is my obligation. That is doubly true when I'm fishing in the pond of taxpayer's money. Because, by not paying what I owe, I'm ripping off my neighbor.

But, honestly, if this is going to fall on deaf ears, can I at least suggest the same program for mortgage holders? Shoot, I'd give my right leg for a 10 year reduction in THOSE payments. Just think how much more I could give to the government if you helped me out like that!

Anyway. See you on the campaign trail. And best of luck.

My gut tells me you are going to need it.

Most snarkily,
MommaJ

*And he had the marbles to COMPLAIN that he and Michelle were $120,000 in debt because of law school. UM, HELLO? Why didn't one of you WORK to put the other one through? Or, if you weren't married yet, it's called "find a job, work through school, take fewer loans".

Better yet? Stop complaining...obviously, you paid your load off in ten years without a problem.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you mailed this one! Oh yea, and let me know how his Highness responds. I know I'll be shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to fire this off as a letter. Personally, I don't see wasting the 44 cents, but I guess that's my half-full mentality on this issue.

    ReplyDelete