Friday, October 28, 2011

Pork Fried Rice

Sure, this is a grand departure from yelling at the President, but my vocal chords needed a little rest, so....

Made this the other night for the family and LOVED IT. Everyone, except The Babe, ate until the pan was empty.

It comes from Cooking Free, a cookbook for people with allergies and sensitivities, specifically to gluten (found in large quantities in regular wheat), milk, eggs, and sugar. This is the first recipe I tried, and it hit a home run. Which is funny, because we ate it just in time for the Rangers to totally trounce the Cardinals on Monday night.

Maybe I should have prepared it TWO nights this week?

Anyhoo, if you are like us, we haven't been able to set foot in a Chinese restaurant in, ballparking* it here, the last five hundred years, because of the effects MSG has on my sweet Hooman. Basically, smelling fumes from a Chinese place, even the really high-end ones, causes his brain to create a migraine the size of Godzilla.

So, we save our money for other things, like cookbooks for people with sensitivities to MSG. This recipe reminded me that not all good things have to come from an ethnic establishment to taste really, really good.

PORK FRIED RICE (4 SERVINGS)

1/2 pound boneless pork, cut into 1/4 inch thick cubes
1 T canola oil (I used olive)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, diagonally cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (added about 1 1/2 cups to make up for leaving out peas/sprouts)
1 large egg, beaten (optional)
4 cups cooked rice (I used short-grain brown and it rocked)
2 T wheat-free tamari soy sauces (used coconut aminos--could use regular soy sauce)
3 green onions, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup snow peas (didn't use)
1/4 pound (2 cups) bean sprouts (didn't use)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (don't leave out--makes the dish)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In wok or high-edged skillet, saute pork cubes in oil until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and place in a large bowl.

Add onion and stir-fry until onion is translucent. Add garlic, carrot and mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes (I think I added a little oil to the pan before I did this?!). Add this mixture to the cooked pork, leaving nothing in the pan.

In wok, stir-fry egg (if using) and cook until set (I added a little oil before cooking). Break up pieces using spatula. Add rice and all cooked ingredients to wok. Add soy sauce, green onions, snow peas, bean sprouts, oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to serving temperature. Serve immediately.

Cooking note: as with most multi-ingredient recipes, I suggest you chop and measure and set aside everything before you begin cooking. Just makes putting it all together SO.MUCH.EASIER.

Sure, creates a few more dishes to clean, but that's what a good husband is for.....

*I'm not even (YAWN) remotely (YAWN) ticked off that the (YAWN) Rangers lost that game at (YAWN) some goshawful time after (YAWN) 11pm last night.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for letting us know this Pork Stir Fry recipe. Can I see the Image of this? so that when I cook it I can make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy--Glad you found this recipe helpful. I'm not the "picture of my food" kind of food blogger...if I happen to make it again and life isn't too crazy AND I remember (huge hurdles here), I will be happy to oblige. Please don't hold your breath waiting...just make the recipe and enjoy the heck out of it...even if you don't like the looks, it will taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete