Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Welcome, Little One!

Some neighbors, who've become friends, recently flew halfway around the world to retrieve their adopted daughter from an orphanage in Africa.  She is three-years-old and precious beyond words.

This morning, as I was picking up carpool, she and her brother were standing on the sidewalk, she in front, he in back, with his arms around her shoulders and hands clasped in front of her, waiting for my car to arrive.

The contrast of their sizes was the first thing I noticed:  he has always been the "little" brother and, up until that point, I'd never considered how much he has grown since we moved on the block.  They looked as relaxed as if they had known each other forever.  In fact, they looked less like siblings than most because they weren't fighting or yelling at each, but were peacefully standing there, hugging.  It was a beautiful picture of how God knits together new family members.

As I pulled up, I waved and that tiny, three-year-old hand waved right back.  We had been warned that she wouldn't know much about English, but it never dawned on me that our "sign language" would be universal.  It warmed my heart that, even though she probably wouldn't be able to say my name for a little while, we could still communicate in simple ways.

That's when the wave of emotion hit me.  Tears were flowing down my face at the beauty of the scene, this cherubic young girl and her loving older brother standing together, one born into our country, the other brought here after being in an orphanage for far too long;  the sacrifice her birth Mother made to create this picture unfolding in front of me;  the patience and perseverance and willingness of our neighbor friends;  the goodness of a God who orchestrated the whole event.  It was just too much in that moment for my heart to take.

My friend saw what she probably perceived as distress and, as she approached the car, all I could do was pat my heart.  Words just wouldn't come in that moment.  We shared a bit of chit-chat, got her son seated in the car, and off we started.

But, before we went, our newest neighbor, her hand in her Mommy's, turned to the car, smiling and looking just as happy as a lark.  I felt such a connection to her in that moment;  a bond that only people who are adopted understand.  She has a Mommy who will help her grow into the young lady God has in mind.  But she is actually blessed to have two Moms:  one that will take care of her forever in all ways and one who gave birth to her and gave her this chance at life.

And I was so taken with her sweetness that I blew a kiss at her.  And, as innocent and sweet as she could be, she blew one back.  More sign language;  more tears.  I swear, I've never felt so much love in a gesture.

What an amazing story this young girl will tell over the years, one of hope and redemption and adoption into a place far, far away from where she grew up.

I feel so blessed to be on the perimeter of her life.  Thank you, God, for that gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment