Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Help

I hardly know where to begin on this movie because it was such a roller coaster of poignant moments.  Just about the time I was done laughing, I found myself crying again.  It is a rare movie, in my estimation, that can make that much of an emotional impact.  I don't think it is overkill to compare it to Schindler's List, emotionally.

The Help is based on a book by the same name, which I understand fills in blanks left by the 136 minute movie.  Truly, I didn't feel like anything was missing from the movie, but hearing there is more detail makes me want to add the book to my fall reading list.  And, I probably will.

I am incredibly glad that I attended this movie with a group of women, because it was fascinating to see the range of reactions.  One of the group had grown up with a black maid and was perpetually thrown into a whirlpool of memories throughout the viewing experience.  She wasn't even able to really verbalize how it affected her, but I could tell, because the mascara she'd worn to the theater was gone by the end.

The friend sitting closest to me patted my shoulder at one point in the show and said "It's OK".  I hadn't even realized I was crying that hard.

I think the overwhelming feeling I have, after letting this movie sink in for several days, is one of gratitude. 

I am so thankful that America went through the necessary growing pains to get to a point where a great majority of the white population no longer feels as if they can lord their color over others.

I feel indebted to the likes of Medgar Evers and Martin Luther King, Jr, who gave it all to speak love into the hearts of a nation divided by color.  I was even reminded of the good of Abraham Lincoln, who paved the road on this process many years before Messrs. Evans/King were even a twinkle in their parent's eyes.

I feel a great deal of compassion toward families who grew up with a legacy of believing that they were superior to others because of the color of their skin.

If good was to prevail as a result of this movie, I feel like honest conversation between races would begin.  I can't imagine this movie NOT opening deep, partially-healed wounds for many.  This is a perfect example of the need for forgiveness on so many levels.

While we immediately think of the need for bigots to ask for forgiveness for their sins, there is another segment of society that was affected but is oft forgot:  the children of the families who employed black maids, with parents who felt the help was "their" property.

This is an example of generational sin come home to roost.  It was only a very strong person who could have grown up in a home where values were so very misplaced that could break away from that mentality.  In this case, what was good for the goose was horrid for the gander.

I don't purport to know all the why's and how's and when's that would have to occur for a true healing of this issue in our country in 2011, but I think this story could be a bridge for better things in our America.

I can only say that, come Academy Award time, I expect that The Help will dominate the show.  Good luck to voters when trying to decide which of the actresses to give the statue to;  they all deserve it.  If ever there was need for an ensemble acting award, this movie would earn it, hands-down.

I give this two pinkies way high up, with a side of kleenex and wistful thoughts of a TRUE, homemade, mile-high-meringue, chocolate pie.

A few side notes, thoughts that have gone through my mind in the days following this movie:
1.  Why do I know so little about Medgar Evers?  Where is his representation in the history books, especially in the deep South?

2.  Why did it take from the time of emancipation to the 1960's for this issue to be addressed in earnest?

3.  If racial issues don't still exist in America, why did it take 60 tries for Kathryn Stockett to find a publicist?  Read about that here.


No comments:

Post a Comment