Monday, August 22, 2011

DUMP

One of the joys of raising boys is that they want to cuddle at night.  Truthfully, this is just a scheme to allow them the privilege of taunting their other brothers the next day to the strains of "I got to stay up past bedtime!"  But, the side benefit is that I get to actually talk with each of them, one-on-one, on the nights that they are interested in fueling themselves with "up-past-my-bedtime" ammunition.

Such was the case with Hooman tonight.  Only problem was that he was flailing around the bed like a fish out of the sea.

See, he's still trying to detox from a smorgasbord of sugary-treats that were provided to him at Sunday School to celebrate his coming promotion.*  I stopped listening after he told me he'd had "Three donut holes, two cupcakes and a Sprite." 

He's been bouncing now for over 24 hours and I'm not sure which of us is going to lose it first.**

But, during this dance of pulling himself up under the top bunk and falling back on the bed and rolling over and hugging me and making strange sounds, we began to discuss that tomorrow is the night before he officially becomes a Covenant Knight.

I mentioned how cool that is going to be.  Which led his sugar-stoked brain to remember that three kids wanted to sit with him at lunch the day he visited.  Which reminded me that he's cute, which I stated, and followed up with "You know.  The girls are going to really like you at the school."***

Hooman:  "Yeah.  I know."  (giggling)  "I don't know what I'm going to do about that."
Me:  "What do you mean?"  But, I knew he was thinking of Katherine.

And DING, DING, DING.  Give that woman a prize!  That's exactly what he meant.  His late spring, budding romance.

Here's the funny/curious thing about the situation:  early in June, Hooman really wanted to take Ms. K to the roller rink and back home for a day swim.  So, I emailed her Mom and waited.  And, within a day or so, Mom replied and said she'd give me a call.

It's now late August.  I'm still waiting on that call.

Honestly, I had shut the door on that whole situation when we didn't hear back within a week.  What I didn't know was that Hooman was apparently betrothed to this girl.

Hooman:  "I feel kinda funny about that.  You know kind of like "Girl, I have no idea where you are, but I'm going to dump you"?"

And then he coined the most hysterical phrase of the entire summer, with a huge swipe of his hand and a cartoonish voice he said:  "AIR DUMP!"

I started laughing so hard tears were flowing down my face.  That's just brilliant, I was thinking.  Truly, why didn't I air dump a ton of guys back in the day?

Then Hooman asked if I was going to blog the whole thing.  To which I responded "Of course!"

So, now you are caught up on the Hooman crush of 2011.  Apparently, like my first crush, he'll never forget her.  But, he also refuses to be tied to her forever since they aren't even communicating.

And, no matter how you slice it, it is kind of hard to have a lasting relationship when all that's between you is a bunch of hot air.


*Otherwise known as:  he's moving from the third grade to fourth grade classroom.

**Score today:  Hooman, 0.  Time out chair:  3.  Could have easily been a big goose egg vs. an even half dozen for the chair if I'd been more Hitleresque.

***I'm terribly sorry if you can't speak ADD and get lost in our endlessly crazy thought patterns.


1 comment:

  1. A clarification: my first crush was on a boy named Alex, NOT a girl. Thanks to poor sentence structure, it appeared that way. Thanks to you-know-who-you-are for pointing that one out....

    ReplyDelete