Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cowboys and Aliens and Apes, OH MY!

My AMC Stubs card has been on FIRE this summer.  And, overall, it has been a good summer for flicks.  And popcorn and Coke.  And an occasional package of M&M's.

Mike and I caught a 10am showing of the latest Planet of the Apes movie right after breakfast, so there were no goodies in sight.  Which was fine because I was pretty engrossed in the movie.  And I hate looking at the bottom of a large bag/box/tub of popcorn after a movie and wondering how I don't remember eating anything past the first handful.

Overall, I was amazed by the CGI effects.  I could have hugged the baby ape when he first appeared on the screen, all cuddly in his box.

It took quite a bit of unraveling to get to the apex of the movie but I never found myself getting impatient.  Each scene had a purpose which fit nicely into the "why" the apes reacted the way they did.  And, I've found, that I really love the creativity it takes when someone makes a movie that shows us the "back story" of a previously made flick.* 

However, let me add that this movie disturbed me.  Visually, it hit it out of the park.  Had a great script.  Let me repeat:  amazing CGI.  But, when that ape started behaving like a human and tested his voice box, I got chill-bumps the size of smallish gerbils.

That's when I realized that the premise of the movie was similar to one of my all-time favs, I am Legend.  And, in comparing the two, I realized one of the reasons I loved Legend was that I felt hopeful in the end.  Not at all the same effect the ending of Apes had on me.

I'm not sure if it was because I already knew the story of the original Planet of the Apes.  Possibly, it was because I really don't like it when animals are given human characteristics and abilities (unless they are talking animals such as those in Dr. Doolittle, which aren't out to destroy humanity).  Or, maybe it was because I do think there are researchers who have the ability to create drugs that could end up generating this type of effect.  But, something about this movie profoundly disturbed me.

So, if you like a movie that will most definitely make you think "What if?", then I can recommend this.  And, might I add, Mike says "It is awesome.  STOP THINKING SO MUCH.  Just tell everyone to go see it."

There you have it:  one pinkie partially up and one middle finger staring at me.

On to the next review:  Cowboys and Aliens.

Let's just start by getting the elephant in the room outed:  this is absolutely the STUPIDEST premise for a movie EVAH.

But, I'll do just about anything for my sugarplum, so I tagged along and did my best to be a good date.  Which meant I only ate my share of the popcorn and drank my share of the Coke and didn't point out the obvious "this is the STUPIDEST premise for a move EVAH."

Anyway, let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.  For several reasons:

1.  I'm NOT a Daniel Craig fan.

Love the blue eyes, but I get to stare at a pair of azure beauties everyday, if I choose to look at Mike, so that's not earthquake-producing for me.  Everything else about Daniel Craig?  HO HUM.  Until this movie.  I'll just go ahead and admit it:  he's eye candy for two hours.  The stylist who dressed him starting ten minutes in knew her audience.  I've rarely seen chaps that looked so dang good.  And he is just a cowboy bad-ass you wanted to root for. 

2.  I adore Harrison Ford.

Loved him as long as I can remember.  Love Calista Flockhart.  Love that they got hitched.  Love, love, love.  He's a tough cookie in this movie, with sentimental moments that felt completely right.  If Oscar doesn't nod Harrison's way?  He's a golden idiot.

3. I've never been much of a western fan.

They are beyond predictable:  bad guy rides into town, beats up a few people, shoots up a few buildings, drinks too much, acts like a jackass to a beautiful girl, gets arrested, gets released due to some glitch in the system, saves the day, gets the girl then rejects her, rides off into the sunset.

This one wasn't as formulaic as those with the likes of John Wayne.  I mean, when you insert aliens, you do kinda shake things up, to say the least.

I wanted the good guys to win.  I wanted the bad guys to get a bullet in the gut.  I wanted Earth to be rid of alien beings.  Missions accomplished.  So, overall, this was a win-win-win movie.

I'd give this a pinkie and a half up.  Mike LOVED it.  So, I get another middle finger from him to me.

Little does he know that I'm going to drag him to The Help as revenge.



*WICKED is just such an animal, even though it is a musical, not a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment