Monday, February 7, 2011

FB Observation

Many times, I pop on and off Facebook in about three seconds flat. Generally, that happens because someone has posted something on my wall and I've clicked on the link in the message that was sent to my email account.

Checking the wall, typing a message, and getting on with life takes three seconds. And then I sign back off.

But, even in those blazing fast moments on Facebook, I can't help but see who is available to chat. And, more often than not, I don't stop to initiate a chat, either.

Which got me thinking about an oddity of Facebook. Looking at it from the standpoint of actually having REAL contact with people, it's quite interesting:

Let's say I was invited to a party by one of my Facebook friends. When I arrived at the party, I'd walk directly to the one person who invited me, have a brief conversation, and act like all the rest of my friends weren't even there. And then I'd walk right back out.

And, you know, that pretty well describes how I feel most of the time I'm on Facebook: rude. Because, the elephant that's in the room is that fact that I'm online, I'm "present", and I don't take the time to actually have a chat with the other "real" human beings that are online as well.

I glance at the list of people who are available to chat and I very rarely do. And that's because I'm too busy being a pseudo-voyeur and looking at information from people who aren't EVEN THERE!

And, the whole time I'm signed in? I have this nagging feeling that someone is looking at the chat box on their end, seeing my picture, and wondering if they are being rude by not asking me to chat, too. Or wondering if I am ignoring them while I stare at their picture and wonder the exact same thing.

Seriously, I'm being guilted into feeling bad by a social network? Isn't this eerily like Big Brother? Shouldn't bazillion Mark Zuckerberg hire a psychology team to help me figure this out?

So, next time you see me on Facebook, go right ahead and ignore me. Don't initiate a chat. Don't post anything on my wall. I promise I won't think you are rude.

Because, while I'm still figuring out how to eat Dumbo in one big bite, I'm probably not going to be ready to chat anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, people are probably there on facebook. They've chosen to be invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in other words, they are stalkers. GREAT.

    ReplyDelete