Monday, November 8, 2010

Injustice

I recently read the writing of someone I think is a fabulous person. The first time I met her we literally tuned out the entire table of people around us to get to know one another. She's just kind, warm, endearing and wonderful.

Though it's been a couple of years since we've spent time together, she still sends a card when something celebratory or untoward happens in our house. Seems the grapevine is still very much intact when it comes to us.

I tell you all this so you'll know that I dearly love the writer who inspired the following post. I agree with 99.9% of the article she's written.

But it was one word, that little phrase, that sent my head spinning. And I've been noodling my reaction ever since. That is the basis of the blog post below.

It was created from the seed of the writing of a dear friend, whom God used to whisper some truth into my heart.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What does it mean when someone says there is "injustice" in the world?

Well, I had to look this one up because I was pretty sure there would be some "right v. wrong" in the definition but I had never really given it much thought beyond that.

A brief definition reads: "An unjust act."

So, breaking down this word to a level I can understand: an action (act) that is not morally right (one of the definitions of 'just'.)

Here I insert the writing of my friend that originally started me thinking:
"As their poverty continues, our plenty increases. This tension constantly pulls on my mind and heart, but I hope it never goes away. The injustice reminds me of a world far away filled with beautiful people who taught me what is really important in this life."

The underlying message I read here is: there is something morally wrong with Americans many, increasing blessings while there is still poverty in the world.

I just couldn't get past this idea. Wasn't this the same message from those who masterminded 9/11? Why are good, Christian Americans buying into this train-of-thought? Since this isn't the first time (and won't be the last) I've heard this statement, I decided it was worth a second, fortieth, and hundredth thought.

Let me start by stating the obvious: I am called to help the poor. Deuteronomy 15:7-8states "if anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need."

As a Christian in America, I can give generously in several ways: of my time, witness, talents and/or money. How blessed am I that we live in a society free of constraints.

Yet, 2 Corinthians 9:7 plainly states "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Even though I CAN give of all I am and all I have, if I am guilted into it (under compulsion) or made to feel that my gifts aren't worthy enough because I am comparatively rich and could never give enough, then I might feel reluctant to give and choose to rebel against what is right (cheerful giving).

That verse tells me to look into my own heart (and, I would assume, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit) to decide what I should give.

In other words, whether I am wealthy, impoverished, or somewhere in between, the giving decision should come from within, from God, and not from the guidance of men.

Even though I can listen for perfect guidance in my giving and follow that guidance perfectly, I still live in a world that offers a load of negativity toward the blessings behind the giving.

I've grown weary over hearing the argument that there is something evil about America because of our opportunities, freedoms, and comparative wealth.

Most people I know use the freedom our country provides to take advantage of opportunities so they can, ultimately, give back out of gratitude. When they see need, they respond. When they hear of true injustice, they fight for the right outcome.

I won't even bore you with all the good our country does in the world. But the world DOES try to tell us that America just never does enough. Even when we give over and over and over again.

To the world (and to some Americans), if we could just "step up" faster and harder and better then poverty would cease to exist.

That, however, is a false statement, based on the true facts of Matthew 26:11: "The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me."

Jesus states we should EXPECT the poor in our generation. They aren't going away. Poverty is the result of living in an imperfect world. Were we all still in Eden, this wouldn't be an issue. But Eden is no more. So, here we stand.

Knowing I can expect poverty to exist, I have to wonder aloud about the fallacy that goes "Those who possess wealth create an unfair imbalance because they have more than others."

Whether we like it, think it is "fair", or agree with it, there WILL be poverty. And, even if the wealthy of this world give EVERYTHING away, there will never be complete equality; someone will always have more because there will always be poor. It's a guarantee!

Somehow, I have to silence the voices of the world that would entrap me in improper thinking. Only then can I understand a healthy way to approach financial blessings.

James 1:17 says "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

We've been GIVEN good and perfect gifts, chosen by God! ALL of us; rich and poor.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Regardless of my position in life, I'm going to be glad. And how much more so because the gift is from GOD!

If I find myself feeling sorrowful that I haven't been giving in a way that is pleasing to God, I have to ask for His forgiveness so the feelings of guilt will be lifted and I can move forward to obeying His call on my life.

However, if I feel condemned or accused for the life I've been provided by God, I need to ask God's help to rebuke the Devil who is telling me lies. Lucifer takes great pleasure in trapping me in a state of guilt and keeping me there, separated from God. And there's just way too much work to be done in this world for me, or any of us, to caught in a state of perpetual guilt.

To put it bluntly: It is up to me to choose: the world's viewpoint or God's.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some of you won't agree with what I've written here today. You'll see me as an ignorant, hypocritical, self-entitled American. I expect that. And, frankly, I'm OK with that.

I didn't write this post for you, but for me. I had to work out my thoughts. I had to work through my questions. I had to decide the truth.

I posted this so you could consider your position. Whether it is in direct contrast to mine or aligns directly with it, I pray you will take the time to consider WHAT you believe. And learn to back it up so you can converse about it logically, concisely, and with pride.

And, in the same way, I hope you will consider your giving. What are YOU being called to do? What has God blessed you with that you can give away today?

And, finally, I send blessings to you as you work through all of this.

Listen carefully for that still, small voice; it won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment