Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Resilience in Action

"Mommy? I lost."

The Hooman announced this as I was sitting at the kitchen table and he was playing Wii lacrosse in the next room.

"OOOHHHH." The comment came out sorta sadly, as I was pretty sure he was feeling bad about losing or he wouldn't have announced this out loud.

"But there's always next time. Right?" He said this so cheerfully that I couldn't help but echo his optimism in my reply: "That's right!"

The fact that some people view the world as glass half-full and others as glass half-empty is all together interesting, frustrating, inspirational, and maddening.

These opposite extremes exist because our world is horribly awry. If we weren't prone to screwing up, our world would know nothing but happy, happy, joy, joy.

But, how you choose to view life defines which category of glass you'll be drinking out of.

You can choose tears and hatred and pessimism. With the exception of rare exceptions, these emotions are a choice.

You can just as easily choose to find the optimist in yourself and experience the joy and love route.

For today, my little man chose to blow sunshine and butterflies into the world.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring, so today I'm rejoicing that he sees the world as a half-full kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment