Thursday, April 29, 2010

Play on Words

When I was dating Mike we passed by the OXY building at the intersection of LBJ Freeway and the Tollway. I looked up at the big "OXY" and said the following:

"I think a bunch of morons work there."

Now, my love, thinking I was being a bit judgmental and overly critical said, "Honey. How do you know that? I'm sure there are lot of smart people who work there."

I should have known, at that very moment in time, that there was this chasm of sarcasm between us. I was in overload mode. He was in a state of utter ignorance of who uses, how and why they use it, and when it is appropriate to use acrimony.

I replied, "I wasn't being critical. I was simply pointing out the fact that, obviously, within that building there MUST be some people who aren't the sharpest crayon in the pack because, otherwise, they wouldn't be called oxymorons."

And, thus, the world of sarcasm and occasional wit entered my future husband's life.

Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment