Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Science of Skinny

My Mother-in-law has a knack for sharing.  She is one of those people who has an opinion but is gracious enough not to "should" all over you, as in "You SHOULD do this."  Instead, she offers you information and lets you decide if you are going to use it or not.

Over Spring Break she offered a couple of books she is reading.  In fact, she bought copies for me and passed them along saying they were really helpful to her and invited me to read them.  No pressure.

For whatever reason, probably because the word "skinny" is in the title, I opted to start reading "The Science of Skinny" first. The book is based on research done by a chemist turned nutritionist who lost 100 pounds many years ago and has kept it off with common sense eating.

Knowing that my Dad is an MIT-trained chemist and that I, his only daughter, almost FAILED chemistry in High School (even after hours of his tutoring and hours of my tears), you would think this reading this would be a real mis-match. But, let me tell you what, I feel redeemed at the tender age of 46!  I could probably go back now and understand Mr. Kurth a bit better.  I might even be able to hold back tutoring session tears.  That is how much Dee McCaffrey's book has convinced me that chemistry isn't the rocket science I thought it was back in the early 80's.

I've waded through the chemistry behind sugar, processed flour, fats, oils, and the mad science behind food chemistry (aka:  fake flavors, colors, preservatives).  I have learned about proper pH levels in the body.  I've even been able to pat myself on the back, but just a bit, for guiding my family's food ship in the right direction. But, I've also discovered that I have a LONG way to go.  Even though I only find myself halfway through the book, I am INSPIRED to make healthy changes.

I've read Mike about a dozen paragraphs that highlight the science behind "bad" fats (goodbye canola oil!  Hello butter and coconut oil!) and poor sugar choices (goodbye, agave nectar!  Hello honey!).  He is on board, too, even though he hasn't cracked the book one bit, because the science just doesn't lie.

I tote this book with me everywhere I go.  As any Mom with growing kids knows, you have to take advantage of every spare moment to read if you aren't going to resort to books on CD.  (I am an avid under-liner and highlighter when reading, so CDs just aren't my learning style at all.)  I read at dentist appointments, stop lights, learning centers, and in between stirring the brown rice.  I've recommended the book about six times because people see the title and are immediately intrigued.  Then I immediately dive into the "why" I am reading the book and the amazing ability of Ms. McCaffrey to dumb down the science for people like me, the chemistry-challenged of the world.  Not a single person hasn't jotted down the title and author's name.

Just a slight warning:  if you aren't in the mind-set that you want to understand what you are eating, don't bother with this book.  Once you are made aware of the choices you are making, you will very likely feel the way I do:  slightly guilty when I veer off course and disrupt my entire system.

If you don't believe me, consider that today is "cheat day" for those of us observing Lent and I attended a baby shower.  As with most baby showers, this one was rife with great, sugary choices, such as cake pops, strawberry cake (one of my favs), coffee cake with a thick frosting top, and pastries with dense cheese and fruit tops.  Not only did I bypass all of them, I did so with a great deal of willpower, based on what I now know about sugar and processed flour.

I don't expect this book to change my body overnight.  I don't expect to be "skinny" any time soon.  That will require a bit more work than I think Dee's book can inspire or that my scarce time will allow.  But, I can darn sure tell you I (and my family) will be a lot more HEALTHY as a result of spending the time to understand the foods I/we eat. And, for that, I have my sweet, dear Mother-in-law and Dee McCaffrey to thank.

Here's to happy reading and more healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment