Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Flu, shmu

Swine flu
Bird flu
West Nile virus

Oh, for Pete sake, can we just stop panicking about flu and viruses?

Really, do we need a shot for every condition that might affect our bodies?  Because somewhere along the way, I seem to recall that we were all made by a loving God who gave our bodies the mechanisms to fight illness.  If we keep inoculating our bodies with stuff that is supposed to help the current pandemic*, what happens when society doesn't have the right vaccination and our bodies all up and go "I don't know how to fight...you never LET me."?  Wouldn't it be smarter to let the current illness run its course and let our bodies fight it and win?

What happens when fish flu starts beating down on our planet with fury?  Do we cancel our plans for the beach for the next decade?  Stop drinking purified city water?  Refuse to eat all species that might have come in contact with their gilled friends?

I have a little conspiracy theory I'm going to share with you:  we are all being laughed at by big pharmaceutical companies.  They are making a butt load of money off our fear.  The more we listen and respond to how bad this current problem is, the more dosage they ship and the more money they stand to gain.  And, even funnier to them, is that another equally-as-bad problem lies right around the corner, sometime this fall.  They just have to get a few talking heads talking and the media will be their biggest advertiser.

And, don't get me started on companies that guarantee to kill up to 99.9% of germs in your house, on your nose, on your hands, etc.  They are also laughing all the way to the bank AND killing GOOD germs at the same time.

Wouldn't you really rather take a sick day, spend several hours catching a good nap or finding out what REALLY is on daytime TV, and generally laze around until you feel better?

That's me, raising my hand, begging for a day like that.  Can someone who is sick please cough on me?

Now, some of my friends are red in the face with anger over my apparent disregard for human life.  They would counter that people are dying all over the place right now because mosquitoes are evil and harmful and we should be doing everything..vaccinations, spraying chemicals all over society...to make sure not even one more person dies.

PPPPHHHHHFFFFTTTT.  That's what I think.

Because in EVERY case I have heard where someone has died from the West Nile virus (or most viruses or flus), there were UNDERLYING CAUSES.  In other words, if this condition hadn't caused that person's death, another condition at another time would have. 

Newsflash:  there exists no vaccination against death.  It is inevitable for everyone.

So, take a little advice from MommaJ:  eat plenty of fruits and veggies, get to bed on time, find time for sexercise (not a typo and only aimed at married couples), and stop panicking.

Trust me:  panic has never, and will never, look good on you.  And, besides, God's got your back on this one.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand--Isaiah 41:10
 

*Which never turns out nearly as bad as you might be led to believe by the stinkin' media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment