Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Pre-Election Letter

An Open Letter during this election season:

I do not hate you if your views are different than mine.
I do not think you are stupid if you believe differently.
I do not think you are less of a Christian if we differ in our thought processes.

I am trying to understand where you are coming from when I present you with the truth as I see it.  Your kind, thoughtful responses help me get there.
I am trying to hold my tongue when I know that headlines are misleading and people aren't perfect and campaigns don't always tell the truth.
I am working to put every issue under the microscope of the truth of the Bible because politics will fade, but God won't.

So, when I tell you that I believe in life, please don't take that to mean I hate women.  My statement has nothing to do with women's "rights";  it has to do with unborn babies.  And, more personally, the fact that I am here to write this because a woman unselfishly chose not to abort me and to give me to parents who could take care of me.

When I tell you that I believe that we should only render unto Caesar that which is his, don't call me greedy.  My statement doesn't mean I don't give generously to causes that are worthy or that I don't care about the little guy.  It simply has to do with choosing a path that allows my family to decide how to help those in need, which I believe is a God-given duty, instead of leaving that very important work to a nameless, faceless bureaucracy who might make choices that run contrary to my family's belief system.

When I tell you that I believe that marriage was created to be between a man and a woman, don't call me a homophobe.  I have read and re-read the Bible on this issue and believe that changing the term "marriage" contradicts the truth of the Bible.  My stance doesn't change the fact that I am called to love every human being.

When I tell you that I believe in the separation of church and government, don't tell me that means God's name doesn't have a place in our government.  I've read the documents and the history that this nation was founded on and I understand that there is a fine line.  But obliterating God's name flies in the face of what our founders intended.   And any nation that completely turns its back on God is asking for trouble.

When I tell you that I believe in an individuals right to take care of their own family's health care, don't tell me that I hate the middle class.  I see an economic disaster in the making, an unsustainable program that, in concert with all the entitlement programs we already fund (40%+ of our budget), could bankrupt our government.  As the debt of a government rises and expenses mount, all people suffer.   

When I tell you that spending more money on education is not the answer, don't tell me that I am an elitist, private school snob.  We pay taxes to our local schools, even though we do not use them.  And, as a taxpayer, I am entitled and obligated to determine if our collective taxes are being well spent.  This issue goes well beyond the classroom, with tentacles into broken homes and broken communities.  Throwing more money into education will never solve those problems.

When I tell you that I don't believe the government should be funding college loans, don't tell me I don't care about education, want to keep future generations ignorant, and don't have sympathy for those less fortunate.  I strongly believe in an affordable, college education.  For some, that will start with a part-time job and nights at the local community college.  For others, it will start in the Ivy Leagues.  That inequity is a constant in life.  But our government should not be in the business of putting young people in debt.

When I tell you that I believe immigration laws should be enforced and greater security should be at our borders, don't tell me I'm racist or bigoted or hate people from other countries.  To the contrary, I love the fact that we are a melting pot.  But, when we put laws on the books, they should be enforced, not ignored. If we treated those who ignore IRS laws the way we treat people who are on our soil illegally, the government would freeze solid for lack of money. 

These are my views.  I welcome yours, as long as they don't come in the form of vitriol, hatred, or venom.

And, come November, regardless of who wins, may our country right itself before God and realize her true potential again.

Most sincerely,
MommaJ

No comments:

Post a Comment