Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I Used to Rock

I'm back.
In black.
I hit the sack.
I've been too long I'm glad to be back.

Did you get your lighter out and fire that bad boy up or WHAT?

Or did you not recognize AC/DC?  Which effectively blew out one of my parents speakers in the living room when I was in High School (sorry Dad.  no supervision of a young teen just spells trouble.)

Yes, I'm a child of the crap-decade, the 80's.  Where we learned that "greed is good", blatant sexuality is cool, and music lyrics could glorify sex, drugs, suicide and torture and STILL sell tons of records/tapes.

Yeah, it was a decidedly crap decade, followed by its big brother, the 90's, which was even crappier.  Which wasn't the word I wanted to use to describe the 90's, thanks to the advent of Marilyn Manson and increasing popularity of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm trying to keep it PG-13 or less.


And it all built to the crescendo of "Basic Instinct" in 1992, where we learned it was totally cool to be sexually uninhibited, do blow, drill holes in our sexual partners with an ice pick, be bi-sexual, drive way too fast, and be way too rich for our own good.

And we LOVED this movie, making it one of the highest grossing movies of the 90's.  I even owned it for a couple of years.  I thought Sharon Stone was all that.


So, I admit to being dumb and dumber.  Stupid and stupider.  Blind and blinder.  And, as a result of my own mistakes, I have taken a pretty hard line when it comes to what my kids hear and watch;  I'll be doggoned if I am going to let our kids rock out to trash in a movie.

Yes, I'm pretty much a mini-Hitler when it comes to music and movies.  We scan lyrics for EVERY SONG that makes the cut for the ITouch/Ipod.  We talk about the lyrics, sometimes taking us into foreign, slightly uncomfortable territory.  We consult PluggedInOnline regularly.

But, the good news is that now my kids police their OWN lyrics and plots.  And they can listen to a song and determine if they should even bother to ask to have it downloaded OR if the station should be changed should said song happen to come on.

So, when Mike and I first saw the trailer for the musical cum summer blockbuster-in-waiting, "Rock of Ages", I had very, very, very mixed feelings.  We're talking Styx and Journey and Damn Yankees (drool).

But, we're also talking about a musical not recommended for kids under 14.  And, if you know anything about the Canadian Rating System (which is mighty liberal compared to us in the States), you know when THEY raise an eyebrow about the content, this movie is skating an extremely thin line between PG-13 and R.

Now, some of you are shaking your head and just thinking I've lost my ever-lovin' mind.  Your reasoning goes like this:
1.  It's a trip down memory lane.  Live a little!  It's all the music you used to love.
2.  You are an adult and entitled to watch an rating of movie you like.

Yes, but I would also point out that taking my brain back to the 80's pickles it in Diet Coke and booze. 

And, I have watched NR-17 movies using the "adult entitlement theory" and have SCALDED synapses to prove it.  Some junk just can't be scrubbed out.

Plus, I have little eyes and ears that ask what movie Mom and Dad are going to see or check what station on the radio we listen to.  And they know what ratings are for.  And they increasingly understand why songs/movies are good vs. bad.  I am the example and, as such, I have to be careful about what I listen to and watch so my kids will be careful about what they choose to do later.

And, further, I took one look at Catherine Zeta-Jones' character and realized "Holy Cow.  She's me." (Or, I'm her.  Or whatever.)  I've become Tipper Gore.  And, retrospectively, I HATE how that poor woman was treated for standing her ground. 

But today?  I'M GLAD I can compare myself to someone who understood junk when she heard it! I think it is high time someone reign in the filth.  Say "no" to junk music and movies.  Really LISTEN to what is coming through the speakers and on the screen.

And, since I don't have a national platform, just a small sphere of influence, I'm going to use what I've been given for good. 

After all:  Junk in, junk out.

So, I will pass on "Rock of Ages", much to many of my friends chagrin.  Not just for myself, but for my kids.

Call me crazy, but I've learned my limits the hard way.  And I'm raising a generation of boys who will be given the benefit of limits early, so they can make decisions on their own later on.

Just do me a favor?  If you go see "Rock of Ages", please raise your lighter for this.

1 comment:

  1. WE are so much alike! Do you get Thriving Family magazine put out by Focus On The Family. That is where I have seen Plugged In. My kids still pretty much only watch PBS kids....we are not really at the movie stage. they do however scream "inappropriate" and turn the other way when the TV is turned on and there is commercial television in front of them. People I am sure would think we are nutty too....like you my son asks what we watch when he goes to bed. He has seen certain talk show AC when he has peeked out of bedroom. I explained that it is people telling stories and if the stories are not of a positive/inspiring nature for adults then we don't watch. We do say there is "adult appropriate"( in our case more PG than anything) and "kid appropriate for our family". Being home schooled they don't have a ton of influences like backpacks and school boxes or character clothes to influence them. They don't listen to music yet. i cancelled my Syrius radio...just too much temptation.Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete