Saturday, May 12, 2012

Simple Schedules

I am not sure there is anything in this world I like better than a schedule that suddenly is wide-open.  Blank.  Without assignments.

When our Saturday schedule, thanks to the rain, suddenly dumped off a combination of baseball and soccer games, five in total, I could have hugged God silly.  Really, if that man had graced my front door, I might have stood there all day, smiling like a crazy woman attached to his body, thanking him with my squeezes.

Free time allows for creativity.  For unexpected events.  For bursts of energy.

Sure, we could have slept in until late in the morning, but I wanted to embrace the blank.  Seize the day.  Strangle every last second out of it until dusk approached and I could find myself being extra-thankful for time.  Time unscheduled.

So far I've tried a simply sugar syrup recipe to appease our overnight guest.  Two thumbs up.  I've conned young and old to help me get recycle bins filled and garbage to the curb and bring all things dishes to the kitchen so we could start with a fresh, clean area that I will dirty again as the day goes on.  BUT, thanks to the weather, I'll have the time to clean it before we tuck the kids in. 

I've cleaned up after our Friday afternoon birthday party.  I've showered.  Yes, showered.  I even put on make-up.  I've stopped long enough to thank God for the provision of another twenty-four hours.

Yes, this is a good day.

After writing this, I'll engage in closet cleaning for each of the boys, with each of them helping.  Out with the long-sleeves, in with the pad of paper to note what needs to be purchased for summer. 

I hope our day will end with some family event. 

Maybe we'll finally use our indoor rock-climbing passes?
Or take advantage of 50 cent Redbox weekend?
Or play a long, slow game of Monopoly?

The possibilities are truly endless on a day like today.

And, when this day ends, on the cusp of Mother's Day, I'll be thankful for time well-spent.  Time not on a calendar, but time intentionally gobbled up with good things.  With family.  With recycling things we can no longer use but want to use to bless others.  With cooking and cleaning and the things that make the world go round.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of time.  May we always use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment