Saturday, January 28, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

There is no good starting point when trying to tell someone about this movie.  So, I'm starting here...I just met the movie I think deserves the Oscar.

And, coming from the girl who was MORTIFIED that The Help didn't get it's proper due at the Golden Globes, I'm shocked that I just typed that sentence.

I'm not sure if it was the stellar portrayal of a boy with something off the autism spectrum, the topic (9/11/01), some of the most amazing dialogue I've heard in a long, long while, or the fact that it was cathartic if you are missing someone you love who you desperately feel is slipping from your life.

I just can't quite put my finger on it.

I was charmed.  I was moved.  I cried through three kleenex; some happy tears, some tears of KNOWING, some tears of wishing, some tears of remembrance.

This movie made me want to stand up and go do something.  But, I can't quite put my finger on what I feel moved to do.

Remember?  Honor?  Contemplate?  Be a better parent?  Never give up?  It's some combination of all of those.

What I didn't leave the theater thinking about, not once, was the once tangible emotions I had about 9/11;  the anger and bitterness about what happened on that September day.  That wasn't the point of the movie.  The point was those who were left behind.  They are the story.

I can't emphasize enough how much this movie touched me.  I would see it immediately again, with notepad in hand, scribbling memorable quotes and emotional highs and lows, if time and money weren't of the essence.

All I know is that this movie is sure to become one that I will see over and over again, finding new treasures each time I watch it.

Two pinkies up from both MommaJ and Mike (though I'm pretty sure he'd want me to include a different finger than a pinkie), with a caution not to leave the concession stand without a hearty helping of napkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment