Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Wisdom of Winnie

"Promise me you'll always remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."--Christopher Robin to Pooh

This little gem made me spontaneously cry in the car when I read it in a catalog I was browsing through.

Mike said "You're SUCH a girl."
My retort was "Yes, I am. But, did you HEAR this quote?"

I had a teddy bear growing up named George. He was my Pooh. I discovered him in the Sears store in Midland, Michigan in the weeks leading up to Christmas when I was about two years old. When we went by the store the next time and he was nowhere to be found, Mom said I was hysterical. Of course, he showed up under the Christmas tree that year, so all was well that ended well.

George was my constant companion for the next 40 years or so. When I was too old for him to be on my bed, he was in my closet, staring blankly at me every time I opened the door.*

He was really a mess in those later years: a resewed-on eye, band-aids over gaping wounds, fur that had quit many moons before.

And then he came out of hiding when one of the kids discovered him. And, promptly, the dogs ate his head. I kid you not. ATE HIS HEAD.**

Anyway, that was the obvious end of the best Christmas present my parents ever paid for.

I loved that bear. And, I like to think, he loved me. And, I loved being reminded of my George by this quote.

But, even more, I loved that the quote reminded me of Christ.

He's our biggest cheerleader. He wants us to believe in ourselves. He wants us to know we are unconditionally loved.

And, if He can move me with a quote from a humble bear named Pooh, imagine how much more powerful HIS Word can be.

It's time to take my Bible off the bedside table and open it today and discover a quote from His word that knocks my socks off.

He's waiting, and calling, and being patient for me and you to understand that He is crazy about us in ways we can't even imagine.

Want proof, you say? He humbled himself by coming to Earth as a sweet little baby boy who would live a perfect life and choose to die for ME and YOU.

How about THAT for knocking your socks off?


*And now you understand why I am so moved by the Toy Story movies. There is something, deep inside me, that wants to believe stuffed animals and toys are capable of love.

**And they say HUMANS are vicious? Animal-on-animal violence occurs without guns, people!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes myths are more true than reality, and inanimate objects come to life because we first loved them. And we are loves in return. God loved us into life, and we are made in His image, so I think there is ... not magic or wizardry in us ... but the creative spark capable of creating beyond ourselves.

    ReplyDelete