Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Movie Recap

You know I love movies. Can't get enough of them little suckers. But, as of late, I've become VERY particular about what I will watch.

I felt convicted by a Bible study I did this summer that encouraged me to really pay attention to the things I am allowing into my mind. I started being more critical about what I was watching on TV and at the theater and the music I was listening to and the books I was reading.

It has almost* gotten to the point that I don't enjoy most movies that are PG-13 or R. I sincerely doubt I will ever venture near an NC-17 ever again. I find PG+ movies to be too violent or vulgar or full of messages that completely contradict what I know to be the truth.

So, Hollywood? If you can package your movie so that it falls under a G or PG rating, I'm probably going to pony up good money, plus concessions, to view it in 2012. Otherwise, all bets are off.

This year, I saw my share of PG+ movies before I had this revelation. Some of them were a downright waste of my time and money. Some of them were worth the price of admission AND the cost of rental later. Some of them caused me to pause and think about my life.

In case your life wasn't as filled with the joy of movies this year, here, in pseudo-chronologic order, is a recap of some of the good/bad/ugly that made Hollywood money this year:

Left the audience hanging by not telling us where they are now: Sanctum

Cutest English Accents/Best Animated Romantic Comedy/Great Soundtrack: Gnomeo and Juliet

Best Unexpected Twist: Unknown (Liam Neeson)

"I didn't drink enough to get the point OR find it romantic": Adjustment Bureau

"Critics Hated It; I Liked It": Battle Los Angeles

Best Two Hours of Bradley Cooper Eye Candy: Limitless

Use of a Movie to Redeem Attorneys Everywhere: Lincoln Lawyer

Disturbing Use of a Partial Body: Source Code

Most Inspiring Message: Soul Surfer

Best Excuse for a Girls' Night Out: Bridesmaids

Nicest Animated Adoption Message: Kung Fu Panda 2

Most Redeemed Arrogant Super Hero: Thor

"There aren't enough drugs in the world to help my brain understand this one": Tree of Life

Creepiest Spider with Human Eyes/Best Teenage Observation ("Drugs are SSSOOO Bad!!"): Super 8

"How do they DO that and make it look so realistic?" Cars 2

Most Glamorous Hotel/Filming Location/Funnest Teenage Girl Movie: Monte Carlo

Best Non-Surgical Full Body Makeover: Captain America

Like Combining Anchovies and Peanut Butter: Cowboys and Aliens

Creepiest Movie Featuring Talking Primates: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Movie Produced by The Kleenex Company/MY Choice for Academy Award: The Help

Reason to Vacation in Florida: Dolphin Tale

Reason to Believe in Santa: Arthur Christmas

Best Redemption/Happiest Ending: Hugo

Greatest Reason to Evaluate Your Life: Seven Days in Utopia

Reason to Consider Your Parenting: Courageous

Happy Viewing.


*I have to exclude zombie movies from this category because it would be virtually impossible to kill the undead without a lot of blood and gore. And, frankly? They deserve whatever is coming their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment