Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fourteen Carrot





This morning Mike and I awoke to wish each other a happy fourteenth wedding anniversary.  And, even though the day is overcast and rainy, we have so many reasons to rejoice.

Take the fact that the weather isn't picture-perfect:  gives us a chance to cuddle up under an umbrella, Mike's arm around my shoulder, when we have our Tuesday date lunch.  It will feel just like it did when we were dating, before kids came along and our foot-loose-and-fancy-free days were changed to foot-chained-to-gas-pedal weeks on end.

Or, check out the picture above.  This little carrot will forever symbolize this anniversary.  It came from a two-pound bag of carrots I've been using for the past couple of weeks. 

Every weekday, I reach into the bag and choose a carrot to peel and cut for the boy's lunch sacks.

And, each day, up until today, I had not laid eyes on this veggie or felt it in the bag in my usual morning quest for the "perfect" carrot.*

I showed the boys, who each made his own plea to take it to school.  I denied them that right, knowing this carrot needed to be photographed.

Then, I told the boys that this was an anniversary carrot--sent just in time to celebrate Mom and Dad's anniversary.  It looked just like two people who had become one.

When Mike made his way to the kitchen, I showed him too.  He thought it was really cool.

After the rush of getting breakfast on the table, lunches packed, and carpool run, I came back home to a counter full of dishes.  And, as I was thinking about writing a post for our anniversary while I stacked the dishwasher, I started to think about the carrot again.

And I cried.

I realized that this was a little love note sent from God to me and Mike;  a wink that He thinks we make a really fine couple.  And that the He remembers us, extra especially on important days like this.

And, I'd love to think, that Mom had a hand in it, too.  She had a knack for picking out unusual, but very thoughtful, timely, and appropriate gifts.  I certainly think an entwined carrot would make that cut.

It's all about blessings today.  Or, more appropriately about recognizing the enormous blessings and acknowledging that they are straight from God.

Some would think that an anniversary wouldn't be complete without dinner and dancing and a night with just hubby.

But, me?  I'll gladly take a fourteen carrot wedding anniversary over all that stuff.

Happy Anniversary, Mike.  After all these years, you are still my Knight in Shining Armor!


*Some carrots just don't make the grade in my house.  They are plucked out of the bag and become treats for the dogs after they've been peeled and washed.  Yes, I know:  spoiled, weird, carrot-loving dogs. 

1 comment: