Monday, November 7, 2011

Fish Lessons

This morning, I had the distinct privilege of cleaning all three Betta tanks.

That makes Mom:  123 tank cleanings.  Kids:  0.

Truly, I would feel horrible about the slow, oxygen-deprived death these fish would die if I just left he water murky and gross, if I waited until the kid noticed and decided belly-up isn't fashionable for fish and sprung into action.

But, none of us is going to live long enough to see THAT happen.

Part of the process of tank changes is transferring the fish from their tank to a glass while I change the water.  Generally, I have a small, plastic cup as a holding tank.  But, this morning, my counters had been cleaned* of all dirty dishes, including the plastic, and the only cup available was glass.

Now, these are your standard Walmart brand glass with octagonal sides.  Until I poured red fish into the cup, I had never realized that the interior is reflective, almost like a mirror.

Point nine seconds after hitting the cup, red puffed up like a blowfish, all gills and attitude.  He looked like a chicken who was pecking the ground, searching for feed, the way he was going from place to place, hitting the glass, trying to peck a hole in the "other fish" he saw.

Peck, move, peck, move, peck, puff, peck, puff, peck, move.

Honestly, this whole pecking episode looked like it hurt.  And, meantime, I had put fish pellets into the water.  Instead of gulping down his meal, red was way too busy being mad to even notice the blessing above him.

It reminded me how stupid fish truly are.  Their supposed three second memory even became questionable in my mind as I watched his little dance of anger.  He just wouldn't quit, pursuing this other fish until I moved him back to his real tank.

Then, I had an "AHA" moment;  I realized "HOLY COWBELLS!  I'M NOT SO DIFFERENT THAN THAN THAT DUMB BETTA FISH."

How many times have I gotten all riled up over nothing?

How many times have I blown a situation out of proportion based on faulty reasoning?

How many times have I lost focus of the blessing because I was busy being focused on something inconsequential?

"Too often" is the quiet answer that settled in my soul.

When you choose to live peaceably with those around you, pardoning offenses, forgiving misplaced actions, ignoring hurtful comments, you choose to swim in healthy, clean waters.  You choose a path that few understand;  but, your soul knows it is right.

How many of us prefer the dirty, stale water, being at war with ourselves and others around us?

It's time I learned from red that overreacting and poor thinking and self-deprecation are no way to live.

I should be pleased that my life, the proverbial tank I've been charged with, is no place to dwell when I've made it cloudy and murky.  I need to embrace the forgiveness that cleans my environment and soul, even if others choose to live in the mire.  I need to focus on the blessings of my life instead of worrying about those around me.

And, mostly, I need to be thankful that God chose to use a tiny, red fish to teach me these lessons.

2 comments:

  1. Great lesson for us all! I used to be a lot better at all of this, because I could just ignore ha situations or people. It was someone else's problems. But then pointing out inefficiencies and ineptitude became part of my job. It has jaded me, and the new skill I'm having to learn is how to face a hard situation and deliver hard feedback with love, even when the other doesn't respond in kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, sir, are growing closer to God by doing the hard work of learning that others are not nearly as forgiving as you are and choosing not to retaliate.

    You are walking the path that Jesus walked, sharing tough news drenched in loving kindness. Most wouldn't relish the journey...but I'm sure you will make the connection, love the unlovable, and find yourself less jaded as you go.

    ReplyDelete