Friday, October 14, 2011

Thy Word

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.--Psalm 119:105*

Every Friday morning, I have the privilege of praying with a group of dedicated women at one of our boy's schools.  I do my level best not to miss this blessing because I truly love these gals and they are such an encouragement to me.

One of the members is the most amazing Southern women you'd like to ever meet.  I do a wicked good imitation of the way she talks because I feel so proper when I throw on that accent and talk at a pace that is reminiscent of a tall, mint julep being enjoyed on a fan-cooled front porch in the middle of a heat wave.  It's thick, slow, and purposeful talking.  And her prayers?  Straight from the mouth of God.

Today, she reminded us of this wonderful verse from Psalm 119.  It reminds me why persistence in reading the Bible is so important:  if I am able to stay in the word, it provides a means for me to see what is coming;  I won't trip when I can see obstacles in my path.  When I am aware of what God has said, I can challenge ideas that don't seem right, which keeps me from erring.

But, what my friend said that I just loved was that God gives us light ahead of ourselves to protect us.  We can see into the immediate future, but not so far out that we should worry.  He doesn't illuminate the past, what is behind, but only what goes ahead of us.  And, if He is pushing us to use His word to look ahead, shouldn't we?  

What a beautiful reminder on this crisp, sunny Fall morn!


*If you don't know the Amy Grant song based on this verse, you haven't been blessed today!  Just click on her name...the video sound takes 16 seconds to load, so be slightly patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment