Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hobo Pop Tarts

Yes, whoever named these things is obviously in the 60+ demographic because the term "hobo" went out of style when "homeless" became the new-fangled way of referring to those on our streets.

But, honestly, I don't care what terminology is associated with this treat because it's fantastically easy and over the top yummy.  And, because they are considered pop tarts, they are free-game for the morning.  Or a last minute meal that begins with the thought "What am I going to make for dinner tonight?"

And, that is exactly what happened Wednesday night in this house.  My default meal is always breakfast.  And, if I asked the kids what they want for dinner on any given day of the year, including February 29th during a leap year, they'd quickly shout "BREAKFAST!"

Breakfast for dinner always tastes better to me.  Maybe it's because I have time to mess up the kitchen with more complex recipes or I feel like compelled to put three or four things on every body's plate so the meal automatically includes breakfast meat, eggs, fruit and something gooey.  Whatever the reason, Hobo Pop Tarts ended up being item number one last night.

The recipe is so simple you'll probably faint, so brace yourself:

1 store-bought pie crust
Jelly of your choice (I would recommend a thick jelly)

Roll the dough out flat on a cookie sheet and score it with a knife in squares.  Bake until almost done (as directed on the packaging.)  Spread with jelly or preserves.  Bake three more minutes.  Put two of the squares together to make a homemade toaster pastry.

Now, because we are riddled with allergies, I had to make my own pie crust.  No big.  Got a rockin' recipe for that.  A fool-proof recipe because, with pie crusts, I am a big goof-ball, prone to over blending, over rolling, and other kitchen blunders that render perfectly good crusts unusable.

1 cup margarine of butter (I use 1/2 cup soy-free Earth Balance spread and 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening)
2 1/3 cups light spelt flour
2/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup very cold water (possibly divided)

Mix together flour and salt.
Cut in margarine with pastry blender*
Add just enough water for dough to hold together (generally about 1/2 of the 1/3 cup)

Unlike most pie crust recipes, you can be generous with the flour you spread on the counter to roll out this dough.  It won't get tough.

I preheated the oven to 450 degrees, rolled out the dough, cut it into rectangular pieces and put it in the oven for 9 minutes.  Once out of the oven, I used a regular spoon to carefully add jelly to the pieces, being careful not to get too close to the edges (the jelly will spill over and burn on the baking sheet--did this.  Big smoke.  Not good.)  Then, I popped those bad boys back in for 3 more minutes, flipped the rectangles one on top of the other, and served them.

They were good hot, they were good cold, they were added to the list of things "MOM?  Can you make these EVERY DAY?"*

Because my recipe for crust only makes one, I was able to get seven pop tarts out of it.  I would definitely consider making a double recipe next time and trying to sneak the extras into the fridge, all Mission Impossible like.

My next adventure?  A take on this recipe for Hot Pockets...adding cooked eggs mixed with bacon or ham to the middle of two pieces of dough and baking for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees.

I'm not sure my heart can handle this much goodness in one week, so stay tuned...this may be a November expedition.

Now go have some fun in the kitchen by getting your hobo on!



*If you don't own a pastry blender, spend $5 at Walmart and get one.  They are worth their weight and keep you from trying to use two knives.  Trust me:  much, much easier.


**Sure.  If you guys want to have heart attacks by the time you are twenty.....

No comments:

Post a Comment