Thursday, October 6, 2011

Glimpses

You know those times when you see glimpses of success as a parent?  They're like tiny love notes from God, sent through the mouths or actions of your children, reminding you YOU REALLY ARE ALL THAT.*  AND MORE.

Take, for instance, last night, at 3:31a.m., when The Babe padded into our room declaring the cat had gotten sick in his bed.

I was in a good sleep.  We're talking super deep REM.  So, at first, I was confused by where I was.  Then I wondered "Why is it so dang dark in here?"  I guess I figured, if I was hearing the voice of one of my sons, that there should be a bit of light in the room.  Then, I realized "SLEEP MASK."**

Once that was off, I saw the time, my brain clicked 'on', and I sat up in bed. Then I had the strange presence of mind to wonder "Did the cat get sick in The Babe's bed or in the cat's bed?"*** followed closely by the thought "If it's the cat's bed, I'm telling The Babe to chuck it on the ground and I'll deal with it in the morning." Yeah, I get negative parenting points for that thought.

That's when my youngest, who is getting big way.too.fast, looked me straight in the eye and said "I'm so glad you are my Mommy and Daddy is my Daddy." 

I could have run a marathon to Chicago wearing ankle weights after that comment.  I gave him a much too tight hug, forgot the insane hour and the fact that the cat didn't have the courtesy to yak on the floor or in his OWN bed, and sprang into action.  In that moment, I was SuperMom, coming to the rescue of my adoring son.

It really doesn't take much, does it?  And, if that's all it takes for a Mom to feel superhuman, can you imagine what it feels like for our children when we speak kind words to them?

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24


*Parent, teacher, cook, maid, nurse, worker bee, taxi driver, budget-keeper, etc.

**Still getting used to it.  Realized my sleep was being disturbed by the little light on our alarm pad.  Most people would roll over at forget about it.  But me?  I think there is vampire in the family tree somewhere.

***Yes, the cat is spoiled.  But, if it makes any difference in your opinion of me having a spoiled cat:  the bed came from Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment