Sunday, October 16, 2011

Alone Time

Given three hours, on a Friday night, with no kids OR husband, what would you do?  That was the quandary sitting in front of me tonight.

And, at first, I tried to do something cool, memorable, really fun, that I couldn't do with kids in tow.  Or that Mike wouldn't like. But, apparently, I've lost my touch for finding the ultra-awesome, last minute hookup in Dallas.  Also, I couldn't think of a single friend in my life who could just drop everything and hang with me. 

And, honestly, that made me feel a bit old and out-of-touch.

So, instead, I dropped the boys off for fun time at church a tad late and stayed a bit to talk with a couple of friends.  Good conversation about little-to-nothing, with no rush.  That was accomplishment number one.

I determined that the gas tank needed refilling for the weekend football games and church, so I headed to Costco.  Filled up under $3.15/gallon, thanking the Lord for the lower gas prices.  Adventure number two.  Check.

Then I made a slow drive to the grocery store.  I tarried to take in the shops along the way, the ones I normally zoom by, and noted that a bunch of new restaurants have opened around us that we've yet to try. Made a mental note to pick one for our Tuesday lunch date.  A fine way to finish number three.

Upon arriving at the grocery, the fourth item on my NOT-TO-DO line-up*, I realized my checklist was at home.  "Apparently, I was REALLY not meant to do much at all tonight", I noted.  The Starbucks across the intersection was calling my name and, as I was in possession of a gift card, that became stop five on my journey.

With caramel apple cider and blueberry pound cake in hand, I went back to the car, determining that I had just enough time to watch I am Legend for the zillionth time before everyone arrived home at 9:30pm.

What is so interesting about this seemingly boring list of things is that I thoroughly enjoyed the steps.  What started as an almost-pity-party morphed into a night I wasn't rushed, I had no agenda, and I didn't lament for a companion.  I was just happy BEING.

I think this is what is missing in most of our lives, this just being;  existing, sometimes, with no real purpose and no real list of things to accomplish.  Just going where the wind blows, window shopping for nothing in particular and embracing the crisp air as it ushers in a new season.

Oh.  And ending it all with Will Smith and zombies.

BLISS, I tell you.  PURE BLISS.

I love it when a blank canvas becomes a brilliant work of art.  Or, in my case, how a space of time that could have been occupied by a bunch of fluff became a meaningful respite from life.

Thank you, Lord.

*I intentionally didn't schedule anything after I determined that all the movies I wanted to see were in that funny zone between theater and Redbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment