Monday, September 5, 2011

Twelve

Sweet Nickels,
I can hardly believe you are twelve today.  It seems like just a few years ago we attended Luke's first birthday party (making that party was an answered prayer from God), arrived home, and my water broke in the bed.  That was one in the morning today, twelve years ago.

Your Grandma Joyce was with us that night.  She had flown in to be at your birth, a gift from me to her, since she had never had the privilege of giving birth to a baby.  Little did she know that she was going to be such a super, big help that day.

Susan Akins, my mid-wife, was with us every step of the way as I labored at Baylor Hospital.  She helped Daddy and Grandma know how to press on my back so the back labor was less.  She didn't push for Mommy to have a C-section, instead letting my body work hard so you could be born naturally (with a little help from pitocin!)

In the last twelve years, you have led the way in teaching me and Daddy about being parents.  Almost everything we've done as parents had to be tested on you first.  I know we've made some mistakes.  I know we've not always been perfect.  I'm sure we've done some things that, later on, you'll think were really stupid.

But, despite our shortcomings, you have grown into a young man we are beyond proud to call our son.  You have a very kind heart.  You are a good friend.  You are a helper to those around you.  You are sensitive.  You are loving. 

You welcome the chance to try new things.  You are a salesman to the core.  You have always tried to stretch your wings and do things that Mom and Dad are trying to shield you from, but you've matured enough that you recognize our "no" as a loving boundary, instead of a brick wall.

You love to read and would rather do that than sleep.  You want to play football through High School and, I think, you have that talent.  You haven't yet met a video game that you couldn't conquer.  Your love for math will likely develop into a career.  You have a beautiful voice that, I'm positive, God hears and counts as angelic, especially when you belt out any of plethora of hymns and contemporary Christian songs you know.  You are fantastic at sparring and, I predict, will take a first place trophy this year!  :)

Above all these things, you love Christ.  You are developing your own walk with Him that makes us very, very glad. 

Happy 12th birthday, sweetheart.  I love, respect, and adore you to the core.

Love, Momma

1 comment: