Friday, July 8, 2011

Two Twoes

Part of the joy of going on vacation, being away from routine and/or in different circumstances is that we Nowells take the time to go to the movies.  And, in the last two weeks, we've seen two recent movies that deserve comment.

Cars 2 was the first.  We went to the trailblazing Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, home of the "If you talk, text or otherwise disturb your neighbors during the movie, we'll kick you out without a refund or an apology."  Personally, I like the don't let the doorknob hit you attitude inherent in that policy.  Some people, however, don't.  So, the Drafthouse made a PSA out of her rant.*  And, it is HYSTERICAL.

After securing the kids in their seats and explaining that if they said a WORD they would have us ejected from the theater and might have to pay us back from their allowance, everyone was ready to watch.  And, all was quiet.

The opening of Cars 2 is reminiscent of any good James Bond movie except, unlike the golden boy, this one is so visually stunning that words like "amazing, beautiful, and awesome" kept rolling around in my mind.  Pixar's technology just keeps getting better;  it has hit a level that rolling waves look completely indistinguishable from actual ocean movement.  Truly, CGI has risen so high that suspension of reality in a movie about talking cars makes complete sense.

I've heard that critics were disappointed that there was no Toy Story 2 "Jesse's song" or UP "through the decades" scene to illicit emotion from the audience.  While I'll agree that reducing grown adults to a puddle of tears at least once during a children's movie has become a signature of Pixar, I didn't miss crying in the theater during this one at all.  In fact, it was just a FUN show.  There were a couple of moments designed to make me think about the true meaning of friendship;  that was enough emotion for me.  The rest was just good, old-fashioned story telling.

My one beef with this movie was the premise behind the plot:  big oil vs. alternative fuels.  Though it didn't rise to the blatant, preachy level of Happy Feet* for me, it skimmed around the issue just enough that I was annoyed.  I like my kid's movies for KIDS.  Please leave the politics for the parents.  OK, Hollywood?

For those of you with younger kids (pre-K), note that there is quite a bit of action in this one--racing car crashes and explosions and spy-type stuff.  Might not sit well with little ones who are attached to the CARS characters, who are in peril quite often.

All told, Cars 2 and the Alamo Drafthouse get a solid Nowell thumbs-up.

Next on the agenda was Kung Fu Panda 2.  Loved the first one.  In my mind, it was the perfect blend of sarcasm and misplaced, hysterical, wide-eyed enthusiasm.  Po and I also share a love for eating.  Especially cookies taken from high shelves, out of reach of other members of the household.  Not that I actually employ that technique at home or anything....

Anyway, I had zero expectations going into KFP2.  If it was horrible, I was paying afternoon prices, got a discount on my concessions, and was having a fun time with The Babe, miles away from the drudgery of reading therapy.***

Big warning on this film:  younger and/or sensitive kids MIGHT pick up on the concept that the evil peacock prince tries to murder all the forest pandas at the beginning of the film.  I don't know how to explain that it is handled well;  you'll just have to see the "historical footage" the movie makers created to explain the prince's evil ways.  Basically, throughout the movie, this first scene is unraveled and we learn Po is the only panda left standing.****

Side note on this:  At six, The Babe had no clue about the depth of these scenes.  He thought that Po was the object of the peacock prince's hatred (which was true) and didn't even realize what had happened to Po's parents. 

Other warning:  there is a LOT of kung fu and many fiery-fireworks-type explosions.  Now, the kung fu thing is obvious, if you are into reading movie titles, but the fireworks thing is not.  Again, be careful watching with any of your kids that doesn't do well with tons of loud action.

This movie does venture into adoption, interestingly enough.  Being adopted myself, I was interested to see how this would pan out.  Overall, I'd say that they handled it fairly well, but with typical Hollywood "I've found out where I came from so now I know who I am" sap.  I won't go into why I think this is a bunch of bunk, just that it did make for a sweet scene between Po and Mr. Ping at the end of the movie.

I'd give this a tentative thumbs-up.  It is much darker than the original Kung Fu Panda, but it is also visually stunning (a la Cars 2) and action-packed.  I only hesitate because all the action and cartoon violence may be too much for some little ones.

Next up?  Super 8.  As soon as Mike and I can garner a babysitter.*****


*This is the censored version, but I still wouldn't let little ears near it....
**The most despised, politically charged kid's movie I've ever seen.  HATED it with a passion.  Almost left the theater.  And, joy of all joys!  Previews during KFP2 showed a trailer for Happy Feet 2.  I fully expect it will tackle some other hot-button topic, like gay marriage.  Needless to say, we're skipping it.

***Thank you, AMC Theaters, for the STUBS card.  I heart it and search out your theater as a result of the free stuff you've thrown my way over the years.  Yes, I realize I'm your puppet.  But, I'll gladly keep let you pull the strings if you keep the free stuff flowing!

****Or, maybe he isn't....dum, dum, dum, dum......

*****In other words, this may end up a DVD review.

No comments:

Post a Comment