Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Favorite Movies of All Time

Every once in a while I'll have an urge to watch some time-worn movie that we have in a basket under the TV. Ninety percent of those poor movies don't get seen once every five years, so I kind of feel like I owe it to them to pull them out, dust them off, and give them a spin in the DVD player every once in a while.

What I realized, a bit back when I was asked for a list of all my favorite books, is that my taste in movies is equally bizarre. I run the gamut from childish stories to full-blown nail biters. And everything in between.

So, since it is summer, and bedtime hours seem a little more flexible, here are some movies to consider, or reconsider, for your viewing pleasure:

1. The Wizard of Oz. As classic as they get. I dare you to watch it and NOT hum at least one of the songs for the rest of summer.

Since I'm a nerd, I see tons of symbolism in the movie and consider it "90 Minutes in Heaven"* for the youngish-set. If you think through the lessons that are learned, and tie them to Biblical themes, you have a nice start to a brilliant thesis. I cry every time Dorothy realizes "There's no place like home" because I KNOW, in my heart-of-hearts, that she is talking about Heaven.

SIGH.

2. When Harry Met Sally. Timeless, even 22 years since it was originally on the big screen.

And the dialogue: "You can't take it back...It's out there!" and "Yeah, but he was too old to pick them up." and "This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE!" I can only wish to write dialogue like Nora Ephron someday.

3. I am Legend. My brain gets really confused when I say "Will Smith" and "great acting" in the same sentence, but it is true.

I am a HUGE lover of flashbacks and suspense and all things zombie. So, this movie is right up my alley. To this day, I still jump in all the places I am supposed to and cry at the bitter end.

This is a story of redemption of mankind in the face of something that started so wonderfully but turned bitterly wrong.

4. Momento. What's not to love about a man whose short-term memory has been wiped out and who has to write on his body to remember, day-to-day, the pieces of his shattered life so he can figure out what happened to him.

Who's the good guy? What's this woman really doing? How did I end up here? Suspense and intrigue at every corner. Oh, and Guy Pierce. Need I say more???

5. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I think this is mention number two for this movie in this here blog, so sit up and pay attention.

You need to be in the right frame of mind to watch this since the subject manner is a concentration camp. The twist on the theme is that this looks at the camp from the standpoint of the family of one of the generals working for Hitler's regime.

If you are into tales that speak to your heart and remind you that human beings can do some downright cruel things to one another and that you never know when the worst might happen, this is your show.

This was the last movie Mom and I ever saw together. Just like at the showing of Schindler's List, the audience didn't get up after it was over. We just sat there, quietly wiping our tears. Those who could talk did so through whispers, so as to leave the hush that spread over the audience intact. We were no exception.

This is a beautiful movie, both in scenery and costume. And, if as a Mother, you are not brought to your knees by Vera Farmiga's performance, you don't have a pulse AND you MIGHT be a zombie. Just sayin'.....

There are so, so many, but these are a few that jumped into my mind today.

If you care to comment and let the rest of us know some other "summer worthy" movies to consider, please do!

Happy Viewing!


*A must read. Thanks to my wonderful friend, KV, for bringing it to Mom's funeral as a gift--one of the most thoughtful things EVER.

1 comment:

  1. Number 2 will always be my number one.
    Must see #3 and #5.
    Downloading book now.
    Love your blog.
    The other Jill

    ReplyDelete