Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rabbit Hole

It's been one of those weeks where I've been on the verge of tears multiple times. I'm not particularly unhappy about anything, don't really miss Mom terribly, and it's the wrong time of the month, so I just don't know why.

But, I thought, by renting Rabbit Hole, I'd get a good, long, hard cry and be done with it.

Honestly, I cried harder during the end of 127 Hours and throughout Soul Surfer than I did during this movie. I had a couple of good, salty trickles, but no flood.

I figured I'd be really touched because the theme of this play-come-movie is what happens in the life of a married couple after their child is killed in an accident.

Before you count me as a sadist, let me explain that part of my interest in this movie was Nicole Kidman, who received a Golden Globe AND Oscar nomination for her turn as the emotionally pent-up Mother. The other huge draw was Aaron Eckhart, who I fell in love with in Thank You for Smoking*.

The acting was really good. The story, though depressing in parts, ended with a little lift and was solid. Overall, the movie took a few unexpected turns, took a few turns that were completely expected and morally base, and told the story nicely.

At just over 90 minutes, this is a movie you can squeeze in right after a big pasta meal without risking falling asleep. And, even though I questioned the integrity of so short a flick, the length is spot-on; I never felt cheated out of information or lost wondering why something did/didn't happen.

Though Mike didn't see this show with me (he and the boys were at a Rangers' game), I think there might be discussion between spouses after seeing this.

If you find yourself in the frame-of-mind to see a movie of this ilk, I can recommend it. It brings up some very interesting points about how children impact a marriage and how their absence is felt.


*A GREAT movie, if you are into sarcasm and irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment