Monday, April 4, 2011

That's Amore

Cheapskate tip of the week: Take your happy bootay to Maggiano's!*

Yes, that Frank Sinatra infused, red-and-white-checker table clothed, I-think-I-gained-50-pounds-just-by-breathing-the-air-in-this-joint, wonderful dark wood and dimly lit Italian spot.

And order off their "Classic Pasta" menu. For grins, get their House or Caesar salad as a side dish for about four clams more and ask for a to-go box when the entree arrives. Because believe you me: you're going to need it.

The piece of lasagna that arrived AFTER the fresh bread/olive oil and salad rivaled the circumference of a six-month old's partially bald head. This thing was ENORMOUS.

I ate around the outskirts of PLANET LASAGNA, which was mostly meat/saucy goodness and took one bite, one morsel, of actual pasta and I threw in the white linen napkin. I simply couldn't eat another bite.

So, out came the box.

Literally, I have eaten three meals off that one serving of lasagna.

Here's the kicker: when the bill came, both Mike and I were given the choice of another classic pasta, to go, ON THE HOUSE.

Now I had TWO Planetoids of goodness to carry out the door. And, probably the first and only arm workout of the year, compliments of the handled bag and the weight of the food.

It is now day three since our visit to Maggiano's. So far, we've polished off the first piece of lasagna and about half the complimentary one. For Mike's ziti dish, we've eaten the restaurant serving and a little of the one we brought home.

Tally: dinner out for 2 on Friday, lunch Saturday for 2, dinner Saturday for 2, and lunch Sunday for 3. And, there's still enough for lunch for two for tomorrow!

It's the gift that just keeps on giving!!!

Gluten-intolerant? They've got a pasta for that! Need whole wheat pasta to keep the system running right? Gotcha covered. Want the old-fashioned, not-so-good-for-you-but-tasty-as-hell version? Right on, brother! That's their specialty.

I HIGHLY recommend this deal. For two, you'll end up spending about between $43-$47, depending on whether you are a cheapskate in the tipping department.

And for all that? You'll get a romantic night out on the town, great atmosphere, and more food than you can even imagine eating over four days.

But, trust me, you'll give it the old Nowell try.

Buon appetito!


*I'll take my payment for this glowing review in lasagna, Mr. Maggiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment